Players congratulating each other on great plays?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
My daughter plays on a 10U travel team. The girls on this team have been together playing since they were 7 and are all (most days) very good friends. When one of them makes an awesome play like catching a hard line-drive or something they all get excited and congratulate each other sometimes running over and giving a high-five. They don't do it for just anything but if it is an out of the norm type deal they do. Their coach told them last night not to do this because if they make a great play they haven't done anything special they have done what they are there to do. I have nothing but the highest respect for our coach and he is highly regarded in our community, but he has normally dealt with highschool age girls. My question is- is he right in telling them this? I can see where it may look to others like well these girls must not normally play like this if they are getting excited over a good play. But I just think that the girls are such good friends that they love to see each other succeed. What are your thoughts?

Jul 9, 2009
IL
High level college players get fired up when a teammate makes a great play so take that FWIW.

My daughter plays on a 10U travel team. The girls on this team have been together playing since they were 7 and are all (most days) very good friends. When one of them makes an awesome play like catching a hard line-drive or something they all get excited and congratulate each other sometimes running over and giving a high-five. They don't do it for just anything but if it is an out of the norm type deal they do. Their coach told them last night not to do this because if they make a great play they haven't done anything special they have done what they are there to do. I have nothing but the highest respect for our coach and he is highly regarded in our community, but he has normally dealt with highschool age girls. My question is- is he right in telling them this? I can see where it may look to others like well these girls must not normally play like this if they are getting excited over a good play. But I just think that the girls are such good friends that they love to see each other succeed. What are your thoughts?

Oct 18, 2009
I dont think there is a definite right or wrong here. The coach obviously has his views on what/how he thinks players should act on the field. I realize its only 10U but I'm sure he has his reasons. Maybe he wants the girls to stay focused; push the girls a little harder; never be satisfied; act like they've been there before. He's not stopping them enjoying their friends success. He just doesn't want to see it overdone on the field during a game.

Jan 15, 2009
You don't need to stop and praise a 2nd basemen during the game who fields a ball that is hit right to her and throws it to first base. But for truly special plays they should acknowledge each other. I've seen plenty of Pitchers in MLB acknowledge an outstanding play by their defense. I think one of the main attractions of sports in general is to see someone doing something transcendent. If you can't enjoy that (even if it's done by the other team) you don't really love the sport IMO.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I've seen opposing base coaches cross the field to 'high-five" a player that makes a spectacular play. The girls and parents remember and appreciate them.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
That sounds like an old boss of mine....his philoshy "if I am not talking to you, that means your doing a good job."

I was thinking just what Brian wrote. College players are congratulating all the time. They are girls first!

Mar 15, 2010
Last night my 2nd baseman made a fantastic ending inning dive (with a half twist somersault) on a pop up to shallow right. Everyone, including me, thought this ball was going to drop. That got high fives from the entire team and my coaching staff. I discourage on field celebration during an inning but always make sure to recognize excellent plays as the girls come into the dugout.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The closest player should congratulate the player, until they get to the dug out. MOO

Girls just want to have fun.

I guess we can go to patting each other in the rear like men do. :)

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I think the coach is basically right, great plays are expected when you have high standards. You should make it look to the other team like you do this all the time, not like it was some lucky fluke.

Some umps will also prohibit any little congratulatory get togethers in timed games, esp. in national tourneys, as it consumes game time. Often IF girls do gather at pitchers after each out, toss ball to each other and then to P, slap hands and head back to spots, but I got to agree with the umps, it does waste precious time. Over the course of a game if each side is allowed to do it on the first 2 outs, that will add up to several minutes of time. It could change the outcome of a game...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321