Pitching signs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
You can train your catchers to call the game all you want, but if they are fortunate enough to play in college, you better believe the coaches will be calling it for them. They won't have a choice.

Apr 25, 2010
The fact remains that the vast majority of college coaches will call the game. Especially at the major D1 level.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When UofA had the great battery of Mowatt/Balko, I knew one of their mothers. She said that the catcher was allowed to call one game and that was that. The pitching coach wants her input into what is being thrown. I watch them sit on the top step with a binder full of stats, and they are constantly working.

Apr 25, 2010
What's your point? Does a mention of two colleges mean anything different than your post? Is that how you get your post count up so you can claim authority?

And one of these colleges I mention has been to regionals the past several years and is a major D1.

I bet your kid is around 12 so what's the beef.

Dude, what is your problem? And actually, my oldest kid is 22, was a catcher and was recruited by major D1 schools, but chose not to play. My current playing child is 14u.

My point was that just because you know of 2 colleges who let their catcher call the game, doesn't mean it is a situation that is going to change any time soon. Just like the face mask issue.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Outlaws - did your DD ever call pitches? And, while things may not change anytime soon, do you believe there is a benefit to an experienced catcher calling the game?

Apr 25, 2010
Once she hit 14u, they started teaching her to call. When she switched teams at 16u, the coach called them all.

Yes, I believe a catcher should call the game, simply because she has the best vantage point to see the batter's and the umpire's tendencies and what is working for the pitcher and what isn't. There isn't anyone who can see what she can see.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Once she hit 14u, they started teaching her to call. When she switched teams at 16u, the coach called them all.

Yes, I believe a catcher should call the game, simply because she has the best vantage point to see the batter's and the umpire's tendencies and what is working for the pitcher and what isn't. There isn't anyone who can see what she can see.

Do college coaches call because a) they don't have experienced catchers or, b) they think they can do a better job regardless?

Dec 25, 2010
Do college coaches call because a) they don't have experienced catchers or, b) they think they can do a better job regardless?

or is it..

c) because their jobs are on the line and when they have to face their bosses at the end of a contract "sorry boss my player called some bad games" is'nt going to get them a new one

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl