Pitching signs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Maybe I am nieve but I am watching the Tenn-Fla game that I recored on DVR. The Tenn catcher looks into the dugout for the signs then has to look at her wrist for what sign was called! It seems to me that taking all that time doesn't keep the pitcher in rhythm. Are the signgs that complicated in college that she needs to look at her wrist after getting the sign from the bench?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Pet peeve warning!! Calling pitches from the bench absolutely kills the flow of the game. And as a defensive bonus, takes the catcher, who potentially can be another on field coach, out of the game mentally and turns them into a dedicated messenger.

If I didn't know better, I would conclude that these college coaches must be smarter than their MLB counterparts. However, the real root of the problem IMO is that the vast majority of youth/TB/HS coaches don't know how to call a game and/or don't let and/or teach their catchers how to call a game so that the catchers have no experience at it when they get to the college level. Very few coaches understand that a catcher-pitch combo on the same page and in synch can be so much more effective.

CoachGene72

Can Talk Softball all day
Nov 17, 2012
SoCo
I agree GM, I try to teach DD and her catchers how to call a game. They have a better view of blues strike zone than the coaches in the dug out. The catcher should be the coach on the field directing traffic.

Dec 25, 2010
While i agree with most of your post, there are alot of MLB coaches that call pitches

Pet peeve warning!! Calling pitches from the bench absolutely kills the flow of the game. And as a defensive bonus, takes the catcher, who potentially can be another on field coach, out of the game mentally and turns them into a dedicated messenger.

If I didn't know better, I would conclude that these college coaches must be smarter than their MLB counterparts. However, the real root of the problem IMO is that the vast majority of youth/TB/HS coaches don't know how to call a game and/or don't let and/or teach their catchers how to call a game so that the catchers have no experience at it when they get to the college level. Very few coaches understand that a catcher-pitch combo on the same page and in synch can be so much more effective.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
While i agree with most of your post, there are alot of MLB coaches that call pitches

Based on? I think that most of the times you see the C only looks to the dugout w/ runners on (1B usually) and is getting a running game sign i.e., pick off, pitchout rather than pitch calling. Rookies or a C unfamiliar w/ a new pitcher may be an exception.

May 31, 2012
MLB catcher compared to college catcher. Apples to oranges. Maybe compare ncaa baseball catcher to ncaa softball catcher. How many college baseball catchers call pitches.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Has anyone ever noticed whether a NPF catcher calls the game or is she looking to the coaches?
I think that is more of an apple to apple analogy.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Train your catchers to call the game. I like to start off by trading innings with them. I talk to them about paying attention to the pitchers pitches. What's working? What's not working? What's the umpire calling? I also talk to them about what pitches and locations work best for hitter's tenancies. Are they up in the box, back in the box, hugging the plate, dropping their hands, holding the bat high. Each one has a percentage of pitches and locations that work best. Runners on base? Where at? That also effects where you want the pitch location. Working with catchers and pitchers to teach them this is part of the game strategy.

I feel we need to stop taking the game from the players and start teaching them the game. It also makes it more enjoyable for them. And when they succeed, it makes it more enjoyable for me. I had a 12U catcher a few years back who's eyes just lit up when I told her she was going to get to call the game. To me, that's what the game is about. Many times we place too much value on winning and aren't willing to gamble by teaching them how to play.

That's my 2¢ worth, anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl