Pitch Selection Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
In working on pitch selection, what are some of the cues/advice you give to your hitters? Looking for feedback on some of the cues I give our hitters:
1. For the first pitch, look for something in the zone you like to hit. Most times pitchers try to get ahead with strikes, so if it's in your prefered zone, go after it. Is this good advice? Rather than be aggressive on first pitches (which I used to flatly state), be aggressive on first pitches that are in an area you like to hit (i.e. some kids like higher pitches, some kids like inside pitches, etc.)

2. With two strikes, continue to be aggressive and expand your strikezone slightly. I don't teach "two-strike hitting" anymore, meaning, shorten your swing and try to "Stay alive." I used to, but I found we actually became more timid and less effective on balls that were hit (weak stuff just because we were trying to "protect").

Are there any other cues you give based on count (up 2-0 or 2-1/3-1)? Are there some I'm missing or should revise based on what I typed above? I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Mike

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
I've questioned this a lot too, it's really more of a theory but I personally found that good pitch selection all reverts back to the individual player's body. Some body types will just be naturally akin to hitting certain pitches. A player with long arms will probably find herself hitting outside pitches much easier, and shorter armed girls will probably have an easier time clearing their hands. I say just tell your players that then try and let them decipher based on their own body type, see what hand path feels the least jammed or forced, and then let them get back to you. It'll be a great confidence booster for them to know what pitch they hit well and that all they really have to do is battle til they get something in that zone. Hope this helps

Dec 28, 2008
You are definitely doing the right thing by helping your hitters understand that each pitch is a different situation. Now it just becomes a matter of how old and how able they are to handle the reality of it.

For instance, what if they are up with runners at 2nd and 3rd and no outs, that isn't the same thing as if they are the leadoff hitter in the inning. Now they should look for a pitch outside that they can put in play to the right side of the field and give themselves up to get the run in.

I have a chart you are welcome to print out and make copies of: http://crosstrainingsoftball.com/documents/HitterplicationChart.pdf

It is basically a matrix just like a multiplication chart that goes through all of the "situations" for every single pitch they can see. It can be overwhelming at first because there are sooooo many situations. Help the girls find the commonalities, such as 2 strikes. Doesn't really matter who's on or how many outs ... you have to be aggressive with the strike zone and can't let the umpire call it.

It is empty because each and every player is different. For instance ... Sally is a sweet girl but she panics with 2 strikes. So I need to het her thinking about taking 1 strike perhaps if it isn't "her pitch" but she needs to widen her strike zone with 1 strike to give her the best of odds of hitting the second strike. Meanwhile Amy has no fear at all at the plate, and can kill a change up. So with nobody on, Amy may take even a second strike if the pitch is what she is looking for.

Just when they have all of those situations down, then you look at the bottom and realize that although the number of outs, number of baserunners and pitch counts might be the same, the "situation" can really be different based on other factors as well like the score. If I'm up by 2 runs do I still look to sacrifice myself if necessary by putting the ball in play to the right side of the field with runners in scoring position or do I try to look for my pitch and open it up. Likewise if I have a fast runner at third, and we are home team and need 1 run to tie the game do I bunt with less than 2 outs, as opposed to what do I do if there is a slow/bad baserunner at third.

You have to gradually work these kinds of things into what you are doing with the girls so that they don't go up to the plate "over thinking" every single situation. The chart should be used like a multiplication chart is, that is it is gone over so much and so gradually that they memorize the situations and what should be done. It should just become reflexive action to hit behind the lead runner, to sacrifice in the right situation etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32