? peel over drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2009
looking for explanation/video of a peel over drop. Is this when you throw the peel and try and turn the back of your hand
to the batter? Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
With my limited experience its one or the other. I was not fond of the turnover mechanics as I had suffered a shoulder injury playing baseball in HS. Call me selfish but my dd throws a peel. My rec is search Hillhouse. My opinion of course and I dont know if one is better than the other. Turnover may move more but I dont want to encourage my dd to use the mechanics for a turnover.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
You have a "peel-drop" and a "roll-over" drop. The hand reversed facing the catcher is a change-up and has back-spin which prevents it from dropping. It floats more, being slower, but having the same rotation as a rise-ball.

A peel drop comes off the finger tips. The hand is directly, or as directly as the individual mechanics will permit, behind the ball. The thumb is released a hair sooner than normal, and the finger tips are pulled up through the ball with forearm lift to add added spin.

I do not teach the peel. It is essentially and exaggerated fastball. I teach a good top-spin fast-ball that works like a peel. Some can throw it well, some can't. It is thrown harder than a roll-over drop generally.

A roll-over drop is effective low in the strike zone because it is slower than a fast-ball or rise-ball, and moves down more than other pitches including a peel drop. A peel drop can work as a primary pitch very well. A roll-over drop is in my opinion more of a real complimentary pitch to a fast-ball or rise-ball. The fact that it is slower gives three speeds when combined with a change-up. Also, because the batter's swing goes from shoulder to shoulder during follow-through, the bat is rising over the top of the ball because it is slower, and at the same time it is going down! Ideally it is thrown about 3-4mph slower than a rise-ball or fast-ball.

A good example of speeds would be:
56 mph fast-ball and rise-ball (55 is about a bare minimum for a rise-ball)
52 mph drop-ball
42 mph for the change-up (if the change-up is too slow, say 35, then it is easier to double-clutch
and hit. The approx. 42mph will give more looks or swings and misses)

You then have a "rise", "down", and "screw yourself into the ground" :)

Jan 27, 2010
Durwood, The roll over peel is best described as a peel up behind the ball and a roll-over follow through. A lot of pitchers have a tendency to short arm (early elbow) the ball when learning the peel and the ball goes high or in the dirt. The peel starts with the fingers and the wrist and a lot try to peel up by using the elbow. Check your PM.

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Baltimore
The "rollover" that Cat Osterman does is long after the pitch is gone. It's like the soccer style kicker in football who kicks straight yet follows through to the side. Notice her hand is behind the ball, not turning over on top of it. If the ball comes off of your finger tips it is a peel drop. If it comes off the middle of the fingers its a rollover, and therefore a slower pitch with less break.

Jul 26, 2010
The "rollover" that Cat Osterman does is long after the pitch is gone. It's like the soccer style kicker in football who kicks straight yet follows through to the side. Notice her hand is behind the ball, not turning over on top of it. If the ball comes off of your finger tips it is a peel drop. If it comes off the middle of the fingers its a rollover, and therefore a slower pitch with less break.

+100. I think this is what people call the "peel-over". It's a peel drop that has a "roll-over" finish, and often the person throwing it doesn't even understand which pitch it actually is. Results are what is important, I don't care if Cat Osterman called it a "rise-cutter-screwball", it's a damn good pitch. I want to point out that learning the names of pitches or whatever people want to call them is an art unto itself and often more difficult then learning the pitch itself.

-W

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX

Jenny Finch is worse than Cat, hence her drop-ball moves less! Good catch though.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I have a series of photos on my facebook page for an Italian pitcher to study. They emphasize to a degree what CoachFP and others said about finger-tips verses middle of the fingers in the roll-over. If you click on each photo there is specific information. Also there is information posted for the Italian girl on a common issue in "bullet" spin or "corkscrew" fastball spins and how to fix it.

The facebook link looks goofy but it should open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414