Partial Scholarship. Can it increase?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
This is why I always tell people grades are just as important as playing ability. If the grades are good enough to get academic money, that frees up more of their athletic money to work with other players. Because my daughters grades were good enough to get her other funds, it essentially made her free to his athletic program. What difference does it make what pool the money came from, my kid got essentially a full college ride that she probably would not have gotten solely on grades. Because of the combination of grades and athletic ability, it opened up many other avenues of funding that may not have been available otherwise.

Good grades certainly make it easier for a lightly funded team sport, like softball, to get money to players that might not otherwise be available.

However, for the student, good grades (and test scores) are usually enough by themselves to get tuition paid, at least at the places where most college softball is played (state colleges and JUCO). There are legions of kids out there with great grades and zero athletic ability who get plenty of funding...undoubtedly far more than those with great athletic ability and mediocre grades.

As far as getting into college and getting money goes, grades (and test scores) matter far more than athletic ability.

Dec 20, 2012
Having any amount guaranteed sounds like pure BS. I would love to see the paperwork to back it up. To your point, I have seen them increase over time. Just like in the real world programs tend to reward those that produce, and those that do not are often provided with incentive to move along.

Last year dd was hair short of full but would decrease over next 3 years . Now has very good deal for 3 yrs, did get it in writing. Now PAC offers run the course of their athletic career at sed school. Every offer she received this summer was for remainder of college career with chance to go to 100% and layed out in writing. So not unheard of at all.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Last year dd was hair short of full but would decrease over next 3 years . Now has very good deal for 3 yrs, did get it in writing. Now PAC offers run the course of their athletic career at sed school. Every offer she received this summer was for remainder of college career with chance to go to 100% and layed out in writing. So not unheard of at all.

Having a chance to go 100% laid out in writing sounds pretty ambiguous to be part of a binding agreement.

Sep 29, 2014
I also wonder about the out-of-state piece. One of the other posters mentioned it but I would think this would be the most valuable thing if she could get the out of state institution waived, quarter athletic and a little academic money you could be on your way to a lower college bill.

But without that you would be better off getting spot on an in state team without any scholarship than paying of of state tuition the difference can be amazing depending on schools

Jun 22, 2008
I mentioned my daughters school waived the out of state tuition plus gave her a full tuition waiver. Yes she may have been eligible for strictly academic money anywhere she may have gone, but being as she was wanted by the coach Im sure the school went above and beyond to find ways to give her as much academic money as they possibly could. I seriously doubt they would have given her in state tuition if she had been attending for simply an education.

Sep 26, 2015
This thread is wandering a little bit. DD is a freshman out-of-state softball player at big state U (D1 top 50 program). Only way to wave out of state tuition is to pick a major not offered in home state. Then that only starts in junior year and closest match is something like diary sciences. Was given a quarter scholarship with the possibility of it increasing (not in writing). Application process produced no academic money, (I never heard of big state u increasing academic money after first year), but did receive a small amount of money from a state program, that we had to turn down because it conflicted with NCAA rules. I dream of and might be forced to bring DD back to home big State U (program has been in turmoil for years and needs bodies), but now will have to deal with a broken heart and a divorce. So the issue I am focusing on like a laser. Ideally, Has other DDs received small partials with possibility of increase offers? Did they increase/not increase over time? What did your daughter have to do and when? Starter? Hit in the top/bottom of lineup? important sub who will probably start next year? Thank you everybody, who has responded, your information is helping to round out my knowledge.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This thread is wandering a little bit. DD is a freshman out-of-state softball player at big state U (D1 top 50 program). Only way to wave out of state tuition is to pick a major not offered in home state. Then that only starts in junior year and closest match is something like diary sciences. Was given a quarter scholarship with the possibility of it increasing (not in writing). Application process produced no academic money, (I never heard of big state u increasing academic money after first year), but did receive a small amount of money from a state program, that we had to turn down because it conflicted with NCAA rules. I dream of and might be forced to bring DD back to home big State U (program has been in turmoil for years and needs bodies), but now will have to deal with a broken heart and a divorce. So the issue I am focusing on like a laser. Ideally, Has other DDs received small partials with possibility of increase offers? Did they increase/not increase over time? What did your daughter have to do and when? Starter? Hit in the top/bottom of lineup? important sub who will probably start next year? Thank you everybody, who has responded, your information is helping to round out my knowledge.

There is no one size fits all answer. Every program is different, every coach is different, every situation is different. If your DD does really well and money comes available she may get an increase. That said it sounds as though this is well beyond your financial means so maybe it is not meant to be? It is much better to find a spot that works financially where she will be successful than to chase the luster of a Big Name U only to leave after a year or two because it is not affordable. Are you really in a position to roll the dice, hope she does really well, and pray the program will pony up the dollars? If the home state program is in turmoil maybe she seizes the opportunity to go somewhere and make a difference.

Mar 26, 2013
... Application process produced no academic money, (I never heard of big state u increasing academic money after first year), but did receive a small amount of money from a state program, that we had to turn down because it conflicted with NCAA rules. ...
What kind of state program? I don't understand how it could conflict with NCAA rules since your DD is only getting 25%.

Added: If an increase is needed to stay at the school, that needs to be communicated with the coaches and your DD's play has to earn it. jmho

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Some coaches will verbally offer scholarships with increasing value - 25/50/75/100. Every year the player sticks with the program and contributes they can earn an extra 25%. The 25% freshman year also shows you the attrition rate the coaching staff expects. If they bring in 8 freshman, they expect 2 of them to still be around for their senior seasons. Almost all scholarships are one year commitments, so make sure everyone is clear on the offer and expectations. Pitchers and transfers are usually exceptions to the rule which is how they get to 12 total.

Dec 20, 2012
Having a chance to go 100% laid out in writing sounds pretty ambiguous to be part of a binding agreement.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The 3 year offer was in writing, the chance for increase was a verbal agreement. Should have been more clear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207