Outfield cuts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
We work on outfield cuts almost every practice. Does anyone have any good drills, or practice suggestions? Any specific scenarios you practice more than others?

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Use actual runners and practice the runner at 2B and batter getting a gap single. Defense needs to pick up on whether the play should be at the plate or whether the runner will be safe and cut 2B.

Jun 20, 2015
biggest issues I find 1) outfielders throwing that seed low enough to be cut instead of letting ball come thru to home. 2.) proper placement of 1B (or 3b) to cut the throw and 3) catcher's knowing to yell 'cut'

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
biggest issues I find 1) outfielders throwing that seed low enough to be cut instead of letting ball come thru to home. 2.) proper placement of 1B (or 3b) to cut the throw and 3) catcher's knowing to yell 'cut'

Definitely need my catchers to make the cut call earlier. They are waiting too long. Having runners is a big help for cut drills.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Honestly, a lot of the responsibility of a cut falls on the cutoff themselves. The hardest thing is to get the cutoff to look around at the runners (after getting themselves in the proper position inside the base paths). There are a number of "automatic cuts". Off line throw, a throw from the outfield that was too high and dropping into the cut, (vs the proper thru the cut throw), etc. There are so many variations hence the need for practice.

However, don't expect to solve these issues in a practice or two. For DD's team, this scenario is done every single weekend, week in week out. They're all high level players but are still getting it.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Honestly, a lot of the responsibility of a cut falls on the cutoff themselves. The hardest thing is to get the cutoff to look around at the runners (after getting themselves in the proper position). There are a number of "automatic cuts". Off line throw, a throw from the outfield that was too high and dropping into the cut, (vs the proper thru the cut throw), etc. There are so many variations hence the need for practice.

However, don't expect to solve these issues in a practice or two. For DD's team, this scenario is done every single weekend, week in week out. They're all high level players but are still getting it.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. We realized in the Fall that we weren't as good at cuts as I thought. We now work on it EVERY practice, and will continue to do so.

Jun 20, 2015
we run cut off or relay throw drills, with 4 girls in a line and they throw from end to middle, middle to end and back. practice on throwing correct locations to glove side, correct turns, etc. makes a huge difference. AND having that lefty pitchers doing it also.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Most of the time the runner from 2B will score on an outfield shot if she has medium to good speed. It would have to be a perfect throw with great timing. It drives me crazy allowing the hitter to get to 2b and not getting the out at home on a less than good throw. Outies tend to want to throw it high and as far as they can with ball banging around the back stop with the pitcher still standing in the circle.

Hit the cutoff and keep the runner at 1st.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06