Opinions wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2011
I recently began requesting inning by inning summaries of my daughter's high school games so that I could provide game summaries to an internet site that covers area sports. I thought this would be a good way to get girls mentioned who don't get mentioned in the very brief summaries of the newspaper. In doing this I found that the scorekeeping was so harsh that is was inaccurate - not just for my daughter but everyone. A couple of weeks ago I found out her batting average and another players and thought they both seemed low - now I know why. The last couple of games she hasn't hit the ball like she would like but had three hits taken away by the scoring in those two games. I don't want to seem like a stat obsessed parent but the reality is she is a junior and considered to be a D-1 prospect. Her dream is to play D-1 on scholarship. I believe that coaches consider stats and "All-Whatever" teams. Do I risk more harsh scoring by questioning as diplomatically as possible?
Here's some background as to why this might come off as sour grapes and what the general "political climate is here. Last year she had a pretty good year and I thought she might actually win district player of the year but she only made second team. The way it works here is if you make first team all district then you can make all region. If you make first team all region you can make all state. The newspaper picks a team for the newspaper that is picked from all of the players in the region but is independent of the all district, all region, and all state teams picked by the high school league. She was one of only four players from the district that made the team picked by the newspaper. This year she had three girls from three different teams in the district tell her that their coach had either told them she had won player of the year or they would be shocked if she didn't win the award. She didn't but I don't think she was disappointed because her team is winning, she didn't play very well her last two games, and the girl who won is a friend and teammate who has had a great season and deserved it.

Should I say something or keep my mouth shut?

Oct 25, 2009
Keep a separate scorebook and compare it with the official scorebook after each game. Together with the scorekeeper. Adjust for discrepancies. All done diplomatically, of course.

Mar 25, 2011
Sit close to the opposing teams scorekeeper and copy his book. Ideally, they should match, right? Then it's not your scorebook and daddy looking out for his girl. The two books should reflect the same game.

May 30, 2011
Sit close to the opposing teams scorekeeper and copy his book. Ideally, they should match, right? Then it's not your scorebook and daddy looking out for his girl. The two books should reflect the same game.

I'd have to be in the opposing team dugout. I don't think they'd go for that. I can't even be in our teams dugout.

May 30, 2011
Keep a separate scorebook and compare it with the official scorebook after each game. Together with the scorekeeper. Adjust for discrepancies. All done diplomatically, of course.

We communicated by email after the last game. In the case of my daughter she was judged to have reached by error and fielders choice that did not result in an out. My line of questioning was, "So you scored that play that way?" Response "Yes". Do you think I should point out that's not the way to score according to the rules of scorekeeping?

Oct 25, 2009
We communicated by email after the last game. In the case of my daughter she was judged to have reached by error and fielders choice that did not result in an out. My line of questioning was, "So you scored that play that way?" Response "Yes". Do you think I should point out that's not the way to score according to the rules of scorekeeping?

I would reference the rule you are referring to so they can read it. Again, diplomatically. Like, for example, I'm just trying to make sure I understand the rule, when you actually are meaning I want to make sure you understand the rule.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Should I say something or keep my mouth shut?

Keep your mouth shut. Spend the time you are wasting worrying about this as follows:

(1) Write to the coaches of D1 schools she wants to attend.
(2) Create a backup plan. (If she doesn't go D1, what about D2 or D3?)
(3) Work on her hitting.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Nothing about HS ball has anything to do with getting recruited. She needs to be on a top 16U team this summer. Plus, if she is a sophomore, she should already have some schools in mind and have been in contact with them.

I would not pay any attention to a HS score book. It is generally handed to a mom that shows up on time, a bench player or someone's grandpa that writes down "balk," for illegal pitch.

Get your DD on the right summer team and send her to the top university camp, in your state. Oh, yeah. Encourage her to keep her grades up. If she can show a coach high test scores, she is good to go.

(I see Sluggers and I were writing at the same time.)

May 30, 2011
I would reference the rule you are referring to so they can read it. Again, diplomatically. Like, for example, I'm just trying to make sure I understand the rule, when you actually are meaning I want to make sure you understand the rule.

That's an idea. I'm pretty good at sounding stupid. I really don't think that the scorekeeper has any ill intent and that may work.

May 30, 2011
Keep your mouth shut. Spend the time you are wasting worrying about this as follows:

(1) Write to the coaches of D1 schools she wants to attend.
(2) Create a backup plan. (If she doesn't go D1, what about D2 or D3?)
(3) Work on her hitting.

She has communicated with schools at all levels but has only initiated conversations with D-1 schools. She hasn't decided exactly where she wants to go. She works on her hitting quite a bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd