One Way to Get a Home Run

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Okay I will ask

Why would that need to be reviewed or why would that be in consideration of being reviewed?
I'm referring to Falby's catch/no catch earlier in the game. It was reviewed and it was obvious she did not catch the ball based on the review. She knew it as well. The ruling on the field was a catch and after much discussion the powers that be sent in the ruling that a catch is not a "reviewable" play and it could NOT be reversed due to them not knowing how to place the runners if it was changed. I don't have the clip (it was before the in the park HR off the fence) but I'm sure if someone searched they could find it.

Oct 14, 2019
I'm referring to Falby's catch/no catch earlier in the game. It was reviewed and it was obvious she did not catch the ball based on the review. She knew it as well. The ruling on the field was a catch and after much discussion the powers that be sent in the ruling that a catch is not a "reviewable" play and it could NOT be reversed due to them not knowing how to place the runners if it was changed. I don't have the clip (it was before the in the park HR off the fence) but I'm sure if someone searched they could find it.
With no base runners, a no catch can be changed to a catch at any time. With runners on base, a no catch can be changed to a catch only if it results in a third out.

don’t see anything in the new video rule about changing a catch to a no catch.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
With no base runners, a no catch can be changed to a catch at any time. With runners on base, a no catch can be changed to a catch only if it results in a third out.

don’t see anything in the new video rule about changing a catch to a no catch.

That's what I'm saying...they took a long time reviewed it and it was obvious the ball was on the ground before she came up with it but then the officials got a call and were told nope the the call stands. Lot's of explanation to the Alabama Coach (of course Walton was fine with it)... ;-)

Oct 14, 2019
In NCAA baseball, changing catch to no catch would result in placing batter on 1st and advancing each runner one base.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't understand how one of the OF's wasn't playing for that bounce. As an OF I would look at what I was working with before any game. How far is the fence, what about grass, are there any holes, how will the ball hit on the fence (worse case scenario), how many strides left once you hit the warning track, etc.

OF is all about damage control....
I am not sure if you are viewing this from you as an OF in baseball or not but in FP you have a lot less time to make that sort of decision to peel off and play the bounce. In baseball that ball would have been in the air for a long time and yes the CF would have probably read it and saw that if the LF wasn’t going to get he would play the carom.

Mar 10, 2020
I don't understand how one of the OF's wasn't playing for that bounce. As an OF I would look at what I was working with before any game. How far is the fence, what about grass, are there any holes, how will the ball hit on the fence (worse case scenario), how many strides left once you hit the warning track, etc.

OF is all about damage control....
Spot on.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
sum hussle!

Anyone care to discuss how the outfielders played that?

I got no problem with how the left fielder played the ball. She tried to make a difficult play and it did not work out the way she hoped it would.

From what I can see. The center fielder did not have a shot at that ball. The center fielder probably should have played the ball off the wall better. Instead the center fielder had to chase the ball down at least 20'. With that said, it is always easier saying what someone should do when I am a position to be a Monday Morning Quarterback (in hindsight).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PHguy