One sport vs playing multiple sports?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
I'm sure it has been discussed on DFP many times before...just curious to get some thoughts on the subject.

My DD just turned 13 and is in the 7th grade. Has been playing softball for about 3 years (starting 3rd season of travel). Just finished her first year of JV softball and had a great experience. She is improving a lot each year we play. Began first year of travel splitting time in outfield. Second year, started in outfield, pitched mostly pool games and was a bracket pitcher the second half of the year, and played some first. This year and on JV was starting pitcher, first base, and played occasional OF.

Her JV coach is also the varsity girls BB coach and talks to her a lot about coming out for BB (not varsity, but middle school). Her asst. JV coach is also the volleyball coach and wants her to come out for volleyball. I think she could have a better shot at volleyball...with BB I know I could teach her to go in and "hack" on a few people and throw a few elbows, but that is about it!

I do think playing other sports would be good for her and help her with her overall speed and movement. However, I do think one of the reasons she improves each year in softball is because she plays/practices a lot. Also, she puts a lot of time into her pitching.

For those of you that have been through this what are your thoughts given her age, being a pitcher, etc. In talking with her I think she would like to try BB, but I think most of this is because she likes the other girls and coaches. In things like this she gets most of the say...I just tell her the facts concerning the time commitment for pitching and playing multiple sports, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts and sharing your experience. Have a good weekend!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd just make sure that this is not a softball decision. "Will this be good for her softball?" is a legitimate question, but the bigger question, IMO, is "Will this be good for her?" There's a lot to be said about playing another sport, or taking on a totally different interest, just for the sake of variety and well-roundedness that will help her more in the long run than where softball might take her. She should be able to make a good decision on that at that age.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Absolutely play volleyball and basketball. It helps her to avoid overuse injuries, plus she will become an all around athlete.

Dec 7, 2011
I could talk allot of detail but I will hold off for now:

Answer - "It depends on your DD's goals"

I have seen these things:

- If you want to play D1 softball you have got to specialize and cut out heavy dedications to other sports (especially pitchers!!)
- ONLY the top .1% (I feel) can play all-season HS sports and get to D1
- I have seen too many agressive "I want to play all sports all the time" girls go down with BAD overuse injuries.
- I have seen great athletes play mulitple sports and be "tops" in HS in each sport but then get shocked why they are not getting college sports scholarships (back to my first point)

(remembering though that in my state WI there is ONE D2 college - meaning other states with plentiful D2 colleges offering sports scholarships might have a different perspective)

Dec 7, 2011
There's a lot to be said about playing another sport, or taking on a totally different interest, just for the sake of variety and well-roundedness that will help her more in the long run than where softball might take her.

Hmmm - the ole debate on being good at everything and great at nothing .vs. Great at one thing and not experiencing all other things.

I don't think anyone can make the claim one is better than the other.

I think there is benefit in diverse experiences - check in that box.
BUT I think there is benefit in oneself pressing to see just how high they can take one thing.

Jan 27, 2014
Volley ball is FUN! My daughter is a 6th grader and played volleyball for the middle school this year. I told her to give it a try because everyone loves to play a little volleyball. She made it and had a blast. She's already excited to do clinic and try outs at the end of the month for next year's team. She played on the softball team this year as well but we only have one team. I wish we had a JV, I think that would have been a little easier on our girls. Imagine a new pitcher in 6th grade against 8th grade hitters. Kind of scary. Thankfully with our volleyball system we actually have a 5th & 6th grade team, JV and a varsity team.

I worry about the time working on volleyball and pitching but it's a secondary sport to her and she really loves it so I have to give in. It's funny because we were approached in the outlets here last summer by a high school coach. He noticed her height and wondered what high school she would go to because he was the volleyball coach. I told him she was playing for the 6th grade team but when the time came she would be going to that school. I mentioned something about softball being our most important commitment and he said that it was very common for the softball girls to play volleyball but that there comes a point in high school where they separate. He said he loses a lot of girls to softball. So right now while they're young, let them play as much as they want within reason.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think there is benefit in diverse experiences - check in that box.
BUT I think there is benefit in oneself pressing to see just how high they can take one thing.

I agree. It's important to know yourself and what you want and what is realistic. I'm not for or against playing multiple sports. Just introducing factors to be considered.

There are many athletes who can be very good at multiple sports and still be elite softball players. However, not everyone is so athletic that they can pull that off. Good topic.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
At her age, of course she should play other sports and enjoy it. My only counsel is that you have to be realistic about sports and the limits of your DD's athletic abilities.

First, we are talking about girls and women. There is no "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow for anyone except for the very, very few. IMHO, therefore girls should enjoy playing sports as much as possible *now*.

At the same time, there is a limitation on your DD's abilities. At middle school, your DD can play volleyball, basketball and softball probably good enough to start. Once she hits HS, it isn't going to be that way. Basketball is, by far, the most competitive sport in HS. Volleyball is a close second. It is doubtful that your DD will have any long term success at either hoops or volleyball without devoting herself to it full time. (My DD#3 played travel basketball for several years. She was good at her HS, but there were girls in the area who were much, much better than her. It is one thing to be out in the back yard shooting free throws and it is another to be on the court with a girl who can jump up and grab the rim.)

Depending upon the size of your DD's HS, you and your DD will find at HS that the competition levels are much higher, and that she probably will not be able to compete with the girls at other sports.

DD#1 (all conference D1 pitcher) was good at other sports, but she was dominant at softball. She didn't like being just "another player" on the teams. So, she played softball in HS and that was it. She worked year round at softball.

DD#3 (national champion D3 hoops) was good at any sport tried. She could have been exceptionally good at any sport. In HS, she lettered in tennis, softball, basketball and track. She was really good at tennis and basketball. She could have been very good at track, but simply didn't have the time to devote to it.

There are many athletes who can be very good at multiple sports and still be elite softball players. However, not everyone is so athletic that they can pull that off.

There are a *FEW*, but not many. Most of the girls who play multiple sports are not skill players...they have a unique gift that gives them an edge over everyone else. Usually, it is speed.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
First, we are talking about girls and women. There is no "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow for anyone except for the very, very few. IMHO, therefore girls should enjoy playing sports as much as possible *now*.

Depends on how you define the "pot of gold" here though.

Is the pot of gold -
- "the journey" on going after being your best at something ?
or
- the tangible NPF or big D1 coaching spot for life ?

I could argue it is the former.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Before you can compete at an elite level most sports you have to become an athlete. At her advanced age if she has the interest I would strongly support her playing multiple sports. And I would not confine it to the offerings from the school system. Martial arts and dance is awesome for developing athlete on so many levels.

However, if her goals are to play at high level in college (note I did not say D1 because D1 more often than not does equate to a level of play) she will probably need to get down to 1 sport before she becomes a Junior. About the only thing I would discourage is competitive cheer-leading as there is a very high probability of getting injured. Weightlifting here is a winter sport and many of my players have gone that route. Finally if the HS softball program is less than optimal maybe consider track and field.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44