NSA Pitcher substitution question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2019
Not technically a substitution (?), but a position change I guess. One of the rec leagues I do bats entire lineup, so no subs available.

I checked NSA and NFHS rulebook and didn’t see any rule against moving pitcher to another position, then returning them to pitch later in inning or next inning.

I know a pitcher has to complete the at bat for the batter they entered on and that a second defensive conference in same inning results in pitcher being removed from that position for the game. Also they a pitcher doesn’t receive warmups if returning to pitch in same half inning. And any player can return once per game if substituted for.

But I couldn’t find any rules that I interpreted as relating to pitcher changing positions and returning to pitch. That not technically a “substitution,” correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Not technically a substitution (?), but a position change I guess. One of the rec leagues I do bats entire lineup, so no subs available.

I checked NSA and NFHS rulebook and didn’t see any rule against moving pitcher to another position, then returning them to pitch later in inning or next inning.

I know a pitcher has to complete the at bat for the batter they entered on and that a second defensive conference in same inning results in pitcher being removed from that position for the game. Also they a pitcher doesn’t receive warmups if returning to pitch in same half inning. And any player can return once per game if substituted for.

But I couldn’t find any rules that I interpreted as relating to pitcher changing positions and returning to pitch. That not technically a “substitution,” correct?

Correct on changing positions. Incorrect on having to remove pitcher from pitching if 2nd defensive conference in the same inning. Pitcher is forced to be removed until 4th charged conference. They 3 free conferences , so to speak, but on the 4th they have to remove the pitcher. They can also use all 3 in the same inning with no repercussions.

Oct 24, 2010
The answer really depends on what your league wants. When batting the entire lineup with 'free substitution' it is a defensive position change, not a substitution.

[NSA-2019] It looks like the team is entitled to one defensive conference per pitcher per inning. There is this exception noted:
It is not a charged conference when the manager or team representative enters the field of play and removes the pitcher from the
pitching position. The player may return to the pitching position.
There appears to be no limit on how many times the pitcher may return to pitch in an inning if removed as above, but there can be only one conference with that pitcher in each inning. If I missed something, I'm sure someone will correct it.

[NFHS] Three defensive conferences are allowed over the first 7 innings. The fourth conference results in the removal of the pitcher from the pitching position for the remainder of the game. A pitcher may be removed and return to the pitching position only once in an inning.

In both sanctions, pitchers are allowed warm-up pitches only in their first appearance in an inning.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019
Correct on changing positions. Incorrect on having to remove pitcher from pitching if 2nd defensive conference in the same inning. Pitcher is forced to be removed until 4th charged conference. They 3 free conferences , so to speak, but on the 4th they have to remove the pitcher. They can also use all 3 in the same inning with no repercussions.

Oh, I should have clarified which rules I meant since I quoted both. NSA is pitcher removal on second conference. I didn’t realize NFHS was 4/7. I need to get back in that rulebook hard again.

Thanks!

Apr 23, 2019
The answer really depends on what your league wants. When batting the entire lineup with 'free substitution' it is a defensive position change, not a substitution.

[NSA-2019] It looks like the team is entitled to one defensive conference per pitcher per inning. There is this exception noted:
It is not a charged conference when the manager or team representative enters the field of play and removes the pitcher from the
pitching position. The player may return to the pitching position.
There appears to be no limit on how many times the pitcher may return to pitch in an inning if removed as above, but there can be only one conference with that pitcher in each inning. If I missed something, I'm sure someone will correct it.

[NFHS] Three defensive conferences are allowed over the first 7 innings. The fourth conference results in the removal of the pitcher from the pitching position for the remainder of the game. A pitcher may be removed and return to the pitching position only once in an inning.

In both sanctions, pitchers are allowed warm-up pitches only in their first appearance in an inning.

Thanks for quick reply!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish