No more postgame handshakes in KY high school games. . .

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
10/08/2013 – Commissioner’s Directive on Postgame Activity | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

Several sports have “traditions” regarding postgame handshakes, etc. by team members (both en masse and as individuals), but none of them have such action dictated by playing rules. While it is an obvious sign of sportsmanship and civility, many incidents have occurred both in Kentucky (more than two dozen in the last three years in Kentucky alone) and throughout the country, where fights and physical conflicts have broken out. And this is not restricted to specific sports. In our state alone, incidents in soccer, football and volleyball have occurred this fall.

Unfortunately, the adrenaline and effort required to participate in the sport sometimes seems to deplete the supply of judgement available to participants. And this can be particularly problematic when there is a lack of an appropriate level of adult supervision, or counterproductive actions by the adults involved with the team. After consultation with the Board of Control at its last meeting, the Commissioner is issuing the following directives and recommendations to the schools and officials regarding post game in baseball, basketball, football, soccer, softball, volleyball and wrestling:

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
I'll behave. I did see the rules leave the ability to have an organized handshake under the supervision of the coaches, admins and game management.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
As far as I'm concerned, the following excerpt from the statement is the crux of the problem:

...there is a lack of an appropriate level of adult supervision, or counterproductive actions by the adults involved with the team...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I was in a large department of 200 people. One idiot on business trips made ridiculous charges for lunch. Rather than a supervisor walking up to him and say, "stop it or you are fired", they implemented a policy that made it harder on all of us.

Supervisors dislike confrontation, so rather than address the problem, they come up with stupid 'policies' that punish everyone.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
In one year, KY has around 25,000 HS contests throughout the different sports, and I'm on the conservative side cus I'm not separating JV and Varsity. So in the past two years (50,000 sporting contests) they have had 24 incidences. Why on earth does ANYONE make policy based on something that happens less than 0.05% of the time!? That is just beyond stupid!

Jun 22, 2008
Why not just make it clear to all the schools/coaches/players, if you are involved in an incident, your school is banned from competing in any interscholastic sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing