No I in Team but Player Wants a Scholarship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
I think coaches are obligated to tell the truth. The truth being the vast majority of softball players won't get a full ride scholarship. Most girls will be lucky to go to and play for a JC and if they are good there may get a look for a year or two at the upper level with a partial scholarship.

Nov 1, 2009
I think this falls loosely under what sluggers reffered to as mythology. Otherwise known as what coaches say as opposed to what they really do. If they do like a multisport athlete it's usually because that show's them what kind of athlete they are dealing with underneath the specific softball skills the kid has. That might give them an idea of far the kid can go, or whether they are seeing the peak of that kid's ability. From the coaches perspective they are looking for that 1 out of a 100 kids and they will excuse or explain away team hopping as what that kid did chasing their dream of college ball. College coaches rationalize all kinds of "youthful indescretions" when it comes to athletes, that's how you end up with felons with scholarships. Team hopping/loyalty doesn't make the top ten of red flags for coaches and enough athletic talent makes the coach put on those rose colored glasses so that the red flags look white.

Multi-sport at a division II school is the key to the story. Very few division I coaches would allow a player to play two sports. The seasons of every sport run into the next with exception of football and track. Division II schools also have limited scholarships anyway so softball will be a low priority scholarship.

Feb 12, 2011
No "I" in team.....but there is a "ME"

I believe there are less than 12 "full" scholarships available D1, little more than 7 D2, we all know there is no such thing as athletic $ D3.

Think about the math - approx 300 D1 schools with 12 available scholarships = 3,200 total available scholarships. Sounds more like lottery odds to me!

Agree that it is a business and a school is going to stretch those dollars as far as possible - which is why the academics are so vital. Much easier to get academic money and supplement with some athletic dollars if so fortunate.

Some one said it best, with some 18U elite, gold, premier (whatever) costing upwards of $10K year, you would be better served to put that towards the college fund.

We all like to think our kids "have what it takes" but the reality is that the majority don't - at least not to get scholarship money. That is not to say that they cannot compete at the next level, but the handouts are for the elite.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
There is no "I", there is a "Me" but there's also no "We" in team ;)

Full Ride scholarship - DI - Not many

Partials at a major DI - You still have to exceptionally good and then it's a ton of time that *may* take away from your studies and you may not take a meaningful major. It certainly happens, but that's the exceptional student/athlete. Perhaps my daughter(s) will get the student part down, the athlete part.....not going to happen at that level.

You'll get academic money at private DIII schools - take a 35K tuition down to 20K. Whoohoo!

The value plan....

Juco for 2 years -

Transfer to a local state school for 12K tuition/year and most importantly - take a meaningful major and get good grades. Those with only a B.S. in Anthropology need not apply. Have fun working at the local gas station.

Work relatively hard for your employer....
Use common sense.....
Don't be an rear (some people have a hard time with this)....
Be willing to be flexible (hours, willing to move) with your employer....
Be willing to find a new employer if your upward mobility is stagnant....
Be willing to get additional training/education as necessary....
Find a non-deadbeat spouse that will also work (if you so desire).....

Life is NOT complex or complicated regardless of what some say.

Who gives a (bleep) about a scholarship.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I'll take a different route to the don't count on a scholarship theme. My nephew is/was the best High School soccer goal keeper in the state last year. On top of being All State 1st team, his travel team was ranked in the nation and played everywhere. In the past 4 years his travel team won the State Cup (big deal tourney, basically the travel version of State Championship) 3 times. I know he was given the goal keeper award at 2 of them and I think 3 of them. Physically he is the prototype keeper, 6'1" 185 lb, can kick the ball a mile... So basically you have the stud athlete in the specialized position. Who when he hit 18 said, after this season I am done playing competitive soccer. He made up his mind, he is done playing. So no scholarship for soccer. Not because he wasn't capable, not because no colleges were interested, but because he decided he was done. Its easy to say, not my kid she won't quit. But you never know.

May 25, 2010
I know that kid. Well, I don't mean your nephew specifically, but I've known a couple of guys who were also highly regarded coming out of high school, but decided they didn't wish to continue in their sports. It's amazing what a couple of months at a big school (seeing how the top athletes are treated) can do to a young man's motivation, though. ;) Neverthless, I wish him the best and hope he does end up going to college for whatever he decides.

Work hard, save, and position yourself as best you can to compete for a variety of scholarships. It won't work out for everyone and circumstances can be a bitch at times, but like BrianMonk said, the formula for success is pretty simple.

Apr 13, 2010
I'll take a different route to the don't count on a scholarship theme. My nephew is/was the best High School soccer goal keeper in the state last year. On top of being All State 1st team, his travel team was ranked in the nation and played everywhere. In the past 4 years his travel team won the State Cup (big deal tourney, basically the travel version of State Championship) 3 times. I know he was given the goal keeper award at 2 of them and I think 3 of them. Physically he is the prototype keeper, 6'1" 185 lb, can kick the ball a mile... So basically you have the stud athlete in the specialized position. Who when he hit 18 said, after this season I am done playing competitive soccer. He made up his mind, he is done playing. So no scholarship for soccer. Not because he wasn't capable, not because no colleges were interested, but because he decided he was done. Its easy to say, not my kid she won't quit. But you never know.

No question I think everyone should do what they want to do. But, I don't get it. There are a ton of kids out there that would love to be in that position, and to throw it away seems...........pointless.

Course, perhaps there is some other motivation he has that's even more important? Obviously we don't have the whole story here. Maybe he's a whiz academically and has other plans for his life? Or maybe some girl got her hooks into him?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
No question I think everyone should do what they want to do. But, I don't get it. There are a ton of kids out there that would love to be in that position, and to throw it away seems...........pointless.

Course, perhaps there is some other motivation he has that's even more important? Obviously we don't have the whole story here. Maybe he's a whiz academically and has other plans for his life? Or maybe some girl got her hooks into him?

It not pointless, he was done, he was unhappy. Kids feel a lot of pressure to succeed at the games they play. What happened to him was he was tired of the competition. Not the games, but within his own team. Everyone wants to move up a notch, sometimes the fastest way is to help someone else to fail just a little bit. Someone recently mentioned how the girls become better because of the internal competition of the team, having to fight for your playing time and your spot on the field. Its true, but not all kids want to be in that atmosphere. He loved HS soccer, but hated the travel team. He has made lifetime friends on his HS team, probably won't call up a single kid from travel. Just recently, well after he made his decision he was awarded an academic scholarship for full tuition at a local college. So his school is paid for, but he will be living at home.

Apr 13, 2010
Sounds like he has sound reasons.

I spent some time talking to some talking to some girls who play college softball who were at a clinic my daughter attended and they were making lifelong friends on the softball team, it was the number one thing they cited and they were thrilled that they decided to play in college. In fact one girl said that she was ready to quit and had a last minute change of heart and was thrilled that she did change her mind. Just my opinion but I think maybe the college experience may have ended up more like the High School one and he may be missing an opportunity. I can certainly understand getting burnt climbing up the ladder though. I wish him well.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Sounds to me like he is doing what is best for HIS future. An academic scholarship is worth more than a sports scholarship. He can spend his time focusing on what he wants to do in life after college without being distracted by the pressure of sports. Good for him! Sounds like he has his head together. He will do fine. Congratulations to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd