No I in Team but Player Wants a Scholarship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
I don't disagree that putting money in a good college fund would certainly yield better financial results than hoping for an athletic scholarship. My DD was fortunate in tha she received some DII scholarship money to play softball. She got 6K as a freshman but got 11.5K in academic on top of that. So she's getting about 45% of her tuition/room&board paid for at a pretty nice private college. My guess is that over all the years she played, we spent over 20K paying for all of her softball related activities so if she gets the entire 24K for the 4 years we didn't make any money doing it. The big picture is that she stayed out of trouble. We had something we all enjoyed doing together and she went to college and absoluetly loves being involved in the experience at college while getting a great education.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I don't disagree that putting money in a good college fund would certainly yield better financial results than hoping for an athletic scholarship. My DD was fortunate in tha she received some DII scholarship money to play softball. She got 6K as a freshman but got 11.5K in academic on top of that. So she's getting about 45% of her tuition/room&board paid for at a pretty nice private college. My guess is that over all the years she played, we spent over 20K paying for all of her softball related activities so if she gets the entire 24K for the 4 years we didn't make any money doing it. The big picture is that she stayed out of trouble. We had something we all enjoyed doing together and she went to college and absoluetly loves being involved in the experience at college while getting a great education.

FYI - If you had invested the money regularly in a tax-free college 529 plan you actually would have had more than 40K for her college expenses. Not saying you didn't do the right thing but for 99% of the players, they should play this game because they love it not because they will get a partial or free ride to college.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2009
FYI - If you had invested the money regularly in a tax-free college 529 plan you actually would have had more than 40K for her college expenses. Not saying you didn't do the right thing but for 99% of the players, they should play this game because they love it not because they will get a partial or free ride to college.

I agree with that. It was never about the money. I figured the best she would get was enough in combination academic/athletic to off set the cost and make it approximately the same as a New York state school. That's exactly what happened. But it's nice to see any kid set a goal of any kind and acheive it. Her's was a good school playing at a good DI or DII program. And we have a life time of great memories.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd