New pitcher training aids

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2019
I’m a high school coach who has taken a big interest in developing m pitchers. My athletes are very new to the sport and almost all of them only started playing in middle school and many of them have never pitched before. Pitching is the name of the game, so it has become a large focus for me. Two seasons ago I purchased Bill Hillhouse DVDs and have learned a lot. I have also purchased 5 power line mats, one spin right puck, one release flap, one xelerator and have made some tape line and double balls.

What else should I look into? I have been thinking about the softball power drive and toe tunnels.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2018
Good job for taking a serious interest in your athletes. Lots of people I'm sure will give you some great advice, be careful in that there are a lot of training aids out there that don't necessarily promote proper IR mechanics. I know the xelerator in particular hasn't received many positive endorsements here. Good Luck.

Nov 22, 2019
I’m a high school coach who has taken a big interest in developing m pitchers. My athletes are very new to the sport and almost all of them only started playing in middle school and many of them have never pitched before. Pitching is the name of the game, so it has become a large focus for me. Two seasons ago I purchased Bill Hillhouse DVDs and have learned a lot. I have also purchased 5 power line mats, one spin right puck, one release flap, one xelerator and have made some tape line and double balls.

What else should I look into? I have been thinking about the softball power drive and toe tunnels.

Throw out the xelerator - it teaches an improper motion.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I prefer the Bownet 4-seam flat spinner over the “pucks”. But the pucks serve the same purpose. DD liked it better so that’s really why. The advantage to the Bownet version is it can help with overhand throws as well. If a girl is throwing around the ball she knows it real quick.

Invest in a solo cup and a roll of electrical tape. Dedicate some balls to pitching and tape the middle of them across the 4 seams. A solo cup will fit a 12” ball almost perfectly to the middle. This will help everyone see the ball rotation for practice.

Aug 21, 2008

Where do you live?

Oct 4, 2018
I prefer the Bownet 4-seam flat spinner over the “pucks”. But the pucks serve the same purpose. DD liked it better so that’s really why. The advantage to the Bownet version is it can help with overhand throws as well. If a girl is throwing around the ball she knows it real quick.

Invest in a solo cup and a roll of electrical tape. Dedicate some balls to pitching and tape the middle of them across the 4 seams. A solo cup will fit a 12” ball almost perfectly to the middle. This will help everyone see the ball rotation for practice.

I don't understand what you're doing with the solo cup.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles