new 10 u team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
Ok i am starting a new 10u team this fall to start playing in tour. this spring... i have been involved in tour. teams for 7 years now but have never tried to start my own... any pointers and ideas how to get started. besides $$$$$
thanks

Jul 28, 2008
Start off by choosing a name and applying with your state as a non-profit corporation. You will need some bylaws and articles of incorporation for this. Check your state statutes to see what they need in them.

Check with your local directors and get some insurance. ASA, NSA, Pony, etc. all offer team coverage.

Find a field and get some time on it for practice.

After you get your NP status from the state, you can then apply for 501(C)(3) status with the IRS if you choose to go that route. It's spendy and tedious to get it, but it does have advantages.

Have your local athletic supply store design your team logo. Most have people who do this, or they sub it out.

That should get you started in the right direction.

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
Ok i have most of that done. we are going to be playing under the 16u team that i was the assistant coach for last year.. my 16 year old dd has to move on this year so i am dropping down and starting my own 10u team.. The manager of the 16u team and i had discussed building a multi team organization so thats what we r going to do.. we have a 12u team also starting... what i need to know is how to get kids.... we live in a small town and i know we r going to have to go outside our local area to get enought quality kids to play. but how do we get them to us????????????????

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Building a multi-tiered organization requires a solid and stable board of directors who are willing
to commit their energy to the girls long after their own DD is done playing. We currently have
8 teams from 8U thru 16U. It is easy, with this tournament presence for us to attract players. Many of these
players come to us from upstart teams that fold after the summer season or even mid-season. In recent years
there seem to be a large number of travel teams 'popping up' everywhere. The amount of teams
kind of 'waters down' the talent pool. The teams that fold normally are going out and getting pounded
on a regular basis as there is not enough pitching in our region to support the growing # of teams.
Good pitching and catching allows a team to compete, thus become more stable.

Your reputation as an organization will grow from the behavior of your teams and especially the coaches
during games. No parent will want to jump to a team of loud mouthed-crazy coaches. Too much testosterone in
the dugout does not make a team of girls play better especially at the 10U age.

Advertise your open tryouts in the local papers at the batting cages etc. Be patient, if you build it (the right way) they will come.
Good luck, this forum is a good place for you to start.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Many times there are websites that you can advertise on for players. Ours is Tucson ASA.

At 10U, you can search on other types of teams, such as soccer and volleyball.

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
well the one thing that is working in our favor is that there is no tour. teams anywere around here.... the closest one is 2 hours away and that is were my dd has been playing on there 10u team this fall. there is also 4 other girls that play on that organizations 12u team that are from this area... those girls parents are going to head up the 12u team, and i am going to go with a 10u team.. None of us were too happy with the team we were playing for and i think we can get some quality player right here in our back yard... we will see.. any other ideas about how to get the word out for tryouts...and how to get them there???
thanks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Our elementary school used to let us include it in the announcement or in the news letter. Does the park allow you to post signs?

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
yea i made flyers up this eve. we r going to start posting them this week... one question how should we work tryouts it is going to start getting cold here... maybe do them in a gym some were... have to see maybe we will get some more good weather and get a weekend outside. but we have to have some kinda tryouts this fall. and then maybe again in the early spring

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
You can get a good idea of how they are hitting inside or outside, honestly. I'd run the pitching machines, see how they do. I'd also have someone throw live pitching from behind a net, up close. Some kids don't hit as well off the pitching machine as they do live. (Myself being one of them) It would be nice to see a tryout that had both scenarios, just to get a better idea. As for their fielding, if they can field inside then chances are they can do it outdoors.

Oct 27, 2010
Alderson WV
yea that is kinda what im thinking... there is alot of dills you can run indoors... i just hope i can get enough for a team... thanks for everyones help i will let you know how things turn out....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish