Need to get my daughter on a travel team in Pennsylvania

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2011
Hi All,

I am not a softball expert and am in desperate need of some help. My daughter is 10 years old and turns 11 in July. She has played in regular season fastpitch softball the past two years and that followed each summer with a travel team for tournament play. This year there is not enough participants to field a travel team.

This is what my daughter looked forward to all year. Do we have any options at all? I'd love to get her on a tournament team. She is a good player and especially a good team-mate.

Are there rules and regulations that would prohibit this from happening? Are there rec leagues that she could get involved with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are willing to travel in the Western and Central Pennsylvania area. Johstown area would be perfect.

Thanks

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Check the USSSA website for 10U teams in Central PA. On a quick look, there are 8 listed between 10UA to 10UC. You can probably start there. Try also B2B Baseball and Softball Academy in Manhein, PA - the instructors there may know of teams looking for players. There just aren't that many 10U teams around in PA. Another option is to find a 12U team - there are many more registered in USSSA.

Sep 3, 2009
I'd look for teams, and then go out and watch them play. How are the girls playing, in relation to your dd's skills and abilities? Watch the coaches too. See how they react to both good, and bad plays/games/etc. This site seems to have quite a bit of activity, might be a good place to start, and ask about tryouts, etc. Pennsylvania Softball

BTW.. my father used to live in Johnstown. Loved visiting there.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
I do not know how far you are from Dubois but, we have played the Dubois Xtreme a few times. They are a class organization, from top to bottom. Their coaches are very dedicated and it shows. If you will like to travel 3 1/2 hours you are always welcome to try out for our 12-U team. Good Luck. PA Softball Rules

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
I know we played the 10U PA Krunch the other weekend in a tournament.... Coaches were nice and confident in their team, not the type screaming and yelling at their players constantly.

Not sure what they feed the kids in PA, but there were probably 4 girls taller than me on their team.... The parents on my team were walking up and asking me if we should ask for id's, lol!!

They also had smaller kids, but all and all, the team was well organized and very tough competition. I know one of their pitchers travels like 2 hours to and from practice.

And I actually worked with one of their pitchers a few years prior, but after a couple lessons, I told the parents that I knew of a pitching coach in their area that I trusted because I knew the travel was a lot...

At the tournament I hear a little voice "Coach Heather", I turn around and here was the Krunch player I worked with a couple years earlier.... I did not even recognize her, but she remembered me!

Good Luck!

Jan 18, 2011
mzack, I assume you mean you're in Johnstown. If that's the case then B2B in Manheim is way to far for you to travel. That's in Lancaster County. Lancaster area does have several TB teams to choose from they are really starting to pop up here. I know that doesn't help you. I would look closer to Pittsburgh, I'm sure you'll find something there, I'd be surprised if you didn't.

If you feel like moving east (Lancaster County), I'm sure we could hook you up here, lol. Good luck in your search.

Jun 28, 2011
Lancaster

Was wondering if anyone could give me recommendations for the Lancaster area. My daughter played Rec Ball 14U this year and travel ball 12U last year. She is league age 12.

We are possibly moving to the Lancaster area.....is this a good softball area?

Sep 29, 2010
Currently, the best travel organization in Lancaster are the PA Shooting Stars. Also, there is a newer organization named the Lady Stormers, after the Lancaster Barnstormers Minor League Baseball team. I am not sure if there is any affiliation with the team or not. Outside of Lancaster but somewhat local are the PA Ballhawks in the York area, also a good organization, and the Central PA Krunch in the Harrisburg Area.

Also, Lancaster has a county rec league and so does York county. Many of the teams involved with both leagues also field travel teams in some capacity or another. Hope that helps. PM if you need any more specific information regarding the area or available teams.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan