Need some advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I have posted notices of Bill Hillhouse coming to San Diego March 18-20 in the Announcements section of the website. Given his reputation as a player and pitching instructor, I am somewhat perplexed as to the lack of interest so far. This is the first time I've tried to set up one of these, so any advice from others that have set up and run clinics would be greatly appreciated. I really do not want to cancel the clinic.

Jul 26, 2010
Have you notified the local travel ball teams and sent fliers out to the high schools and such? What have you done besides advertise on these boards?

-W

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I've notified both rec and travel organizations...I'm hoping it's because the season is just getting started and not really because of a lack of interest...I'll keep at it...

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Because most SoCal people have never heard of him. Unless you frequent this message board. He seems to be more well-known back east.
With travel ball most of the tb pitchers already have a private coach who "is the best"
With rec ball, they simply dont know who he is.
That's my take on it anyway.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There are so many clinics being offered by the big names of college and professional softball, that people now have their choices of clinics. Girls want to see Bustos, Finch, Osterman, Janae Leles, etc. Tucson has Monica Abbott coming here, this month.

I follow these young ladies on Twitter and they are all over the place and in airports several times a week.

The girls want to see their heros. (heroines)

May 5, 2008
Have you made up flyers including Bill's qualifications and experiences?

I'm not sure what things are like JN your area, but here in Hawaii people procrastinate!

The first 4 times Bill came, more than half the sign ups came through the week of the clinic.

This most recent one was filled more than a month in advance.

Timing certainly is important. Are there otter major softball events going on at that time?

Honestly, the first time he came I kept costs low so people would give it a shot. This meant hustling for sponsors and putting in some of my own money to make it happen for the kids.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I don't know how well Bill markets himself, especially in SoCal. Before this website, I had never heard of him. Also, in this region there are many former D1 and some USA national and futures pitchers giving individual lessons which saturates the market. If Bill came to Los Angeles, I would definitely have my DD attend one of his clinics or personal lesson, but I have to be honest with you that I probably would not make the 2 hour drive to San Diego county to see him.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Interestingly enough, the first person to sign up is driving down from LA for a private lesson with Bill. I have flyers out. I am also going to put small ads in the local paper. The rec league drafts are done now so I'm hoping folks will pay more attention to the opportunity. Not giving up...

Jul 26, 2010
From what I remember, Bill also offers to pitch BP to college-bound softball players to give them a taste of what real breaking pitches look like. This might be another avenue to get the various traveball organizations interested. Make sure you use Team USA as often as you can, that helps too.

-W

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
yep - doing all that - Bill and I have discussed him pitching to 18G and older players but we want to get the pitching instruction cemented first...and I've been using the Team USA angle in everything...reading what Stacie wrote about her first Hawaii clinic with Bill, I feel better that things will work out...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck