New Coach - Where to start?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2021
I enrolled my daughter in as 12U fastpitch rec league for the fall. It's a draw team, so all the players that didn't register as part of a formal team. Nobody volunteered to coach and the league was on the verge of refunding everybody and dropping the draw team. I didn't want to let that happen to my daughter or the 14 other girls that signed up and just wanted to have fun and play softball. So, I stepped up to the plate and offered to coach. Everybody is excited that the girls get to play. Life is good.

It's at this point that it hit me: I don't know how to coach softball. I haven't played baseball in (*checks calendar*), 16 years. It also doesn't look like I'll have a lot of assistant coach help from the other parents. Most of the girls just finished their first season in a 10U program, some of which could still stay in 10U but we don't have enough softball interest nearby to field a 10U fall rec league. Practices likely need to start in 2-3 weeks. I'm desperate to find a way to make it a good experience for these girls because they deserve it and because rec league youth softball is struggling for participation in our area.

In addition to fun, my coaching strategy is going to have to be heavily focused on fundamentals, but I want to make sure that I'm teaching them the right way. Some google searching and YouTube viewing has yielded largely conflicting information, but plenty of comments about how "practice makes permanent." Obviously I don't want to spend the next couple months teaching them bad habits they'll just have to unlearn in the Spring.

Given the lack of an unlimited budget, what's the best bang for my buck to help put together practice plans and help me learn (quickly) how to teach the fundamental mechanics the right way? I know there's only so much I can do and I'm not expecting miracles, but I want the best for the kids. That's what it's all about.

TL/DR: Volunteered for something I haven't done before. My #1 priority is the experience for these girls and that I set them up for success so they continue to come back to the game. I don't want to leave them with bad habits that they have to struggle through in the Spring. Any helpful resources that I can drown myself in over the next few weeks would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I've posted this many times before but these are considered the Gold standard across the country. Unfortunately, they're going to cost you money regardless.

Fielding- Howard Kobata Softball Skills – We Train The Best (kobatastyle.com)
Throwing- Austin Wasserman Home - High Level Throwing -
Catching- Jay Weaver The Catching Camp
Hitting- Bob Tewksbary Tewksbary Hitting - Unlock the Value of Elite Swing Mechanics (tewkshitting.com)
Pitching- Bill Hillhouse Pitching Tips | Pitching Lessons | House of Pitching Rick Pauly Rick Pauly – Pauly Girl Fastpitch and a bunch of the countrys' top instructors got together and started this Fastpitch Foundations – Softball Pitching Instruction

Of course, the best free resource is right here.

Jan 22, 2011

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
This post made me break out in a cold sweat, and I've been at this for 15 years.

You're not the first person to be in this horrifying situation, but you MUST get some help! If you don't have any capable parents who are willing to step up, ask the league for some leads or post on the local softball bulletin board. There are loads of very experience people with kids who are in college or grown; I'll wager that you'll get someone to help you out if you ask for it. I saw a new 12U Rec coach in this situation a few months ago. He got so many offers that he ended up turning people away.

To play a ball game, you need to pitch and play basic defense. For the team, start with throwing, catching, and fielding. Construct your practices to maximize repetitions and avoid having people stand around. Leave the bats in the car. You can do the drills in the link below at any level of softball. You just need a bunch of softballs and several buckets. The great thing with this is that ANYONE who can roll a ball can help you with this, and it can be done at the most basic of levels.

You find lots of links here to other Mike Candrea videos to get you going. You can find tons of videos on throwing, hitting, pitching, and some say conflicting and confusing things. Candrea (look him up) has been at this a long time and does a good job of simplifying it.

Pitchers...you won't be teaching this yourself, but find out who might be interested in learning. Hire a pitching instructor to give a group lesson, and see who might look promising. For Rec, all you need is ONE kid who can get it over the plate, but two is better. The chosen ones need to then schedule individual lessons.

Catchers...same thing. Hopefully, you'll have someone (or two) who wants to learn and will make the investment in gear and a few lessons. Send them with the pitchers to the pitching lessons!

That's the starting point. Hitting comes after being able to field a defense that can catch a lazy fly ball, stop a grounder, and get an out a 1B.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
Agree with comment about letting everyone try pitching and hiring a pitching instructor for 30 minutes to an hour would be well worth it. Heck, one may volunteer an hour of their time in the hopes of getting a couple clients. I've had a throwing instructor volunteer to run a throwing clinic for my school's JH team for that exact reason.

My wife back in the mid-70's became a pitcher precisely because she was one of three girls who could get the ball over the plate.

As I mentioned in the link in the post above, I found an Irish girl (who unfortuantely only played 1 year because her parents didn't think there was softball in Ireland) that had natural IR and actually had a 3 batter inning or two in her short softball career. You never know until you try!

I would reach out to local travel organizations and high schools. Even if the coaches don't have time, they may have a couple players looking for services hours or willing to help some.

This past spring I ran into a Dad at a 12u rec game who I knew his oldest daughter was at least 16. I asked if he had a younger daughter. He said no and pointed at the dugout. His daughter was the HC of that 12u team.

Mar 8, 2016
You have received a lot of good advice on the technical aspects of coaching softball. Remember that coaching softball is at its very basic teaching. The same principles that apply to teaching apply to coaching softball. This is true at least up to the point of game time decisions. I went through the same situation as you did. Here are some of the things I learned.
1. Have a parent meeting lining out your coaching philosophy and plan for the season. This will help with parent expectations
2. Communicate, communicate, communicate. Send out an email with the location and address of all the parks you will play at. Keep everyone updated on practices and games with regard to the weather or other issues. Lots of communication heads off a lot of problems latter on
3. Make sure you tell parents you need to know ahead of time if their DD will be there.
4. As others have said find pitchers and catchers early.
5. Run organized practices. I learned from DS 10u LL coach. Have a written plan with times, stations, etc on it.
6. You need 1-3 other individuals to help you. If you are lucky enough to live near a college there may be a grad student who wants to help and has experience. Contact the local HS coach and see if they would recommend a HS girl to help out.
7. Start off the season with a practice heavy schedule because as you play games it gets harder to get in practices.
8. Once you have learned the players have a written plan for were each kid is playing in the field each inning. It is much easier to have this ready ahead of time than trying to make decisions on the fly between innings.
9. Bat the whole roster if possible. I never had another coach or umpire turn me down when I asked if I could bat the whole roster. If you are playing a team that you know is a lot stronger or weaker than you flip the lineup and let the girls who are usually at the bottom bat at the top.
10. Winning is nice but creating a culture that the girls want to keep playing and getting better is the most important. The success of the season is defined by the number of girls that sign up to play next season.
11. End every practice with something fun: hitting competition, base running competition, slip and slide to practice siding etc.
12. If you need to do a "punishment" to get the girls attention do it with them. My go to was usually 5 push ups when they were making the same mental mistakes over and over. Sometimes you just need a reset. It is good for you and them.
13. Tell them you will never get on them for a physical mistake but you will if they make a mental mistake. I would simply point both index fingers at my head when they made one and thy knew what I meant. It is a simple way of letting them know they can do better.
14. Keep snack time at the end of games and practices from becoming the focus.

I hope maybe some of my ramblings help. I keep saying I am going to sit down and write all the things I learned from DD's softball journey but never have.

Jul 3, 2021
open an account at the local beer/liquor store. 😁

For me or for the girls to help forget the bad habits I'm teaching?! I'm kidding of course, and hopefully with the resources that have been provided here I can keep the bad habits to a minimum.

This post made me break out in a cold sweat, and I've been at this for 15 years.

You're not the first person to be in this horrifying situation, but you MUST get some help! If you don't have any capable parents who are willing to step up, ask the league for some leads or post on the local softball bulletin board. There are loads of very experience people with kids who are in college or grown; I'll wager that you'll get someone to help you out if you ask for it. I saw a new 12U Rec coach in this situation a few months ago. He got so many offers that he ended up turning people away.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one with a cold sweat! Thank you for the advice! I will see if I can get contact information for the local high school and community college coaches, and maybe find a local forum or Facebook group I can post on looking for help. That's honestly my second biggest fear, aside from leaving them with bad habits it's trying to give them a good experience on my own. My wife is going to help, but she doesn't want the pressure of coaching.

10. Winning is nice but creating a culture that the girls want to keep playing and getting better is the most important. The success of the season is defined by the number of girls that sign up to play next season.

This is my absolute #1 goal and you phrased it better than I did. That's a quote I'll be saving. Like I mentioned, rec softball is not exactly thriving here. The rec baseball program has almost 30 teams across the age groups registered currently. Rec softball only has a handful. I obviously can't fix that myself, but I'd like every one of these kids to end the season asking me when sign-ups start for Spring.

Thank you also to Yocach and Dabears17 for the great advice and resources. I'm looking into each of them. It looks like the catching camp doesn't offer the $40 DVD anymore, which is a bummer. I may still reach out to them and see if they have copies laying around.

High Level Throwing seems to be very highly regarded on here, so I will probably purchase that. I'm trying not to go crazy with the budget because I've already purchased a solid tee and net for practices, granted those serve double duty in that my daughter can use them during the off season. I received a recommendation to check out TeamSnap to coordinate practice, games, and attendance...I may spring for that as well.

Thanks again for the support, encouragement and resource suggestions!

May 23, 2015
Don't get out over your skis
Don't find something on the internet and think you're suddenly a pro
Realize you can't change everything in one season
Keep it fun
Reps reps reps

Apr 6, 2017
You need a parent assistant coach. One of those parents knows
The game and is waiting for someone to ask them….
I’d buy a net and a good travel t. The kids can help each other at
Batting after you show them what to do.
Have them play catch and hit at the start of every practice.
I’d find the best 2 or 3 pitchers and stick with it. If you don’t know anything about pitching have someone help that does. Find the
local rec stud pitcher if you have to. The pitchers need reps and
that needs to happen at home as well as practice. 12u rec is all
about pitching. Whoever has a pitcher will be top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802