Need help with decision of moving to different team..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
I doubt you mean this literally. But to check, are you saying you should give no consideration to other people? It's truly all about your kid and not her coaches or teammates and any promises/agreements that were made?

Learned the hard way the other parents are not your friends and the other players are her friends but also her competition. I won't bore you with the ugly details of our experiences but once bitten, twice shy. However, no matter what we do live up to promises/agreements in this house, I can't say that goes for everyone you'll meet and hopefully it doesn't impact your DD.

Sep 19, 2018
I believe in trying to stick to commitments. I understand that there are times and situations that merit leaving a team early. My dd left a team in the winter of first year 10U. She just stopped playing travel. It was too intense for her. However, this does not seem like one of those situations. It has been said already. Thank the coach for the opportunity, but that you made a commitment to this team until the end of the year. Let the coach know you very interested in guesting whenever your schedule allows.

This way you get a real look into what this team will be like. you are auditioning them as much as they are auditioning you.
Side Note: as has also been mentioned, 1.5 hours away is BRUTAL. I obviously don't know your situation, I have 4 children and being 45 minutes away for practice is a strain. I can't fathom making that trip 1.5 hours.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Sode Note: as has also been mentioned, 1.5 hours away is BRUTAL. I obviously don't know your situation, I have 4 children and being 45 minutes away for practice is a strain. I can't fathom making that trip 1.5 hours

You just must not want it bad enough @cnardone. By 10U you gotta be ALL IN!!!

Sep 19, 2018
You just must not want it bad enough @cnardone. By 10U you gotta be ALL IN!!!
I am all in. She is 2nd year 12u now. I was asked to be AC this year. We have 2 team practices a week. Over winter we also have 10 and 12U Org Position specific training on Saturdays which i attend and help (Corners and Middies - 3 hours combined). There is also dedicated Catchers and outfield as well. I really enjoy the Saturday trainings. The org wide trainer builds the practice plan and does all the teaching. The coaches are extra eyes for him. I've learned a lot about how to teach, exactly what to looks for etc..

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I am all in. She is 2nd year 12u now. I was asked to be AC this year. We have 2 team practices a week. Over winter we also have 10 and 12U Org Position specific training on Saturdays which i attend and help (Corners and Middies - 3 hours combined). There is also dedicated Catchers and outfield as well. I really enjoy the Saturday trainings. The org wide trainer builds the practice plan and does all the teaching. The coaches are extra eyes for him. I've learned a lot about how to teach, exactly what to looks for etc..
Just to be clear: I was just making a joke and being sarcastic about the “need” to potentially drive 3 hours round trip a couple times a week for a 10U travel practice. Was not actually questioning your commitment or that of your DD (not that you should even care if I did because, really, who the hell am I?)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Learned the hard way the other parents are not your friends and the other players are her friends but also her competition. I won't bore you with the ugly details of our experiences but once bitten, twice shy. However, no matter what we do live up to promises/agreements in this house, I can't say that goes for everyone you'll meet and hopefully it doesn't impact your DD.
That is tough life reality!

It is a disappointing undercurrent that can tear teams and friends apart.
Ego's emotions parent goggles and well...booze...
Then add social media now...
Yikes

Jan 28, 2020
LONG READ, but please bare with me....

Well I'm looking for some good advice to steer my daughter(10yr) and I in the right direction to make the best decision.
Quick summary.......in July 2021 We agreed to commit to a team that was trying to form, After a month of searching for players and no luck, The HC decided to took a full time position coaching and cancel the team, So it never made.

A week later a 1st year 10U team (C-Class) full of (8-9yr olds) asked her to join, We knew the coach and some girls, and it's 25 mins from home so for the sake of staying busy and active we did,My ultimate goal for my DD was to get her on a 2nd 10u team that would be moving up in July 2022 so she could find a new home to stick with, Because she will age up.
Well we are still on Team A, But recently a 2nd year 10U (A-Class) team reached out to me asking to have my DD join, I entertained the idea to my DD because at the end of the day, It's all about her & enjoying what she does.My DD really loves the idea of joining but is torn between the 2.Her good friend plays for this other potential NEW team as well and that's a bit of her reasoning for joining but here is the pros and cons of the teams.

CURRENT TEAM..pros - 1.Guaranteed mound time, 2.Close to home,3.HC is very soft spoken, but gets his point across, 4.ZERO drama & all parents really care about the team, Not just their kid. CONS 1.Its a young team, So they have another 1.5 seasons left in 10U.

POTENTIAL NEW TEAM..... PROS 1.Girls are all studs, Surrounded by some amazing talent. Defense is absolutely nasty. 2. This team has had 10 of it's current players together for a Solid straight 3yrs! 3. A Class team! CONS 1. No Guaranteed mound time, the best players will start, other will be rotated in. 2. Team is 1.5hrs away
Thats about the major factors I can think of, I have spoke with DD and explained to her all of them, and she says she feels the new team will push her even HARDER to be a better player.

Is there any advice y'all could shoot my way on how to make a better decision?
I don't have any real advice but good for your DD for wanting to push her self! You never really know what you will get yourself into but sounds like at least the 2nd team is established, I would maybe go to an open practice and see how the coaches interact with the girls?? Also she could get better at another position if she is not pitching in games?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying