Need help with decision of moving to different team..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
10u is a time to be spent building the love of the game while getting reps. Having gone from 10u to 14u as a pitching parent I now understand that better than ever.

If your daughter wants to be a pitcher she needs circle time. And “competing” for it at 10u helps no one other than the coach. And if she can get circle time while on a team that has a positive atmosphere…not seeing a ton of downside.

Sep 29, 2020
Thanks guys for the input. A valid concern some of you brought up is pitching time, So she would make Pitcher #4. They have 3 pitchers currently, 1 of them is a consistent pool game pitcher, the other 2 are more bracket game pitchers(I hate putting names on them) But 1 of those girls is the coaches daughter and she has told me she needs her daughter playing the field.When she pitches it's only to get them out of a crunch.
The other bracket pitcher brings speed to the table and that's about it. What my DD brings to the team is Speed, and great command of the ball roughly 90% of the time. She averages about 1-2 walks a game if those really good batters aren't bitting LOL. I have a bad habit of underselling my DD but 2 of the parents on the team know my DD and truly believe she'll take the #1 spot just due to how mentally tough she is, and how consistent she plays.
Hope this helps

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks guys for the input. A valid concern some of you brought up is pitching time, So she would make Pitcher #4. They have 3 pitchers currently, 1 of them is a consistent pool game pitcher, the other 2 are more bracket game pitchers(I hate putting names on them) But 1 of those girls is the coaches daughter and she has told me she needs her daughter playing the field.When she pitches it's only to get them out of a crunch.
The other bracket pitcher brings speed to the table and that's about it. What my DD brings to the team is Speed, and great command of the ball roughly 90% of the time. She averages about 1-2 walks a game if those really good batters aren't bitting LOL. I have a bad habit of underselling my DD but 2 of the parents on the team know my DD and truly believe she'll take the #1 spot just due to how mentally tough she is, and how consistent she plays.
Hope this helps
Sounds like you already made up your mind (which is fine since it appears your preference matches with hers..) Good luck.

Aug 25, 2019
You lost me at 1.5 hours away.......seriously though, with DD finished 18u, I look back fondly on the 10u days with all the angst of if we made the right decisions, so silly looking back on it now. Fun is #1 now, no need to compete at 10u for positions. Oh and I guess you figured out that 1.5 hours each way equals 3 hours of your day traveling?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Well we are still on Team A, But recently a 2nd year 10U (A-Class) team reached out to me asking to have my DD join

What commitment did you make to Team A? Will Team A's coach feel betrayed or simply disappointed? And will those feelings be justified?

Ha, just wait..... But seriously, it is all about *your* kid, do what's best for her and her development. Not saying you should ever sabotage anyone else but you should 100% do what's best for your DD.

I doubt you mean this literally. But to check, are you saying you should give no consideration to other people? It's truly all about your kid and not her coaches or teammates and any promises/agreements that were made?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For your DD to be "good", she has to first love softball. She learns to love softball by (surprise) *PLAYING* softball--not sitting on the bench watching softball.

Pitching is the same, except more so. Pitching is an entirely different game than anyone else on the field is playing. There is no way to learn it except by getting on the mound and doing it.

"Serious" softball starts at 14U, after the kids have matured. Your DD has plenty of time to get serious.

So, put her on a team where she'll have some fun and get lots and lots of playing time.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
To quote someone on here " Softball begins at 43ft". I understand now what is meant by this quote and you will too when the time comes.
Have fun! If she wants to pitch then get her on a team where she can be #1 or #2 no matter the classification.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Echoing everyone else's remarks, but there will come a time in travel ball when staying with friends can no longer be a priority. Softball is a much more individual sport than the average Joe may believe. Take the spot that will be best for your daughter in terms of playing time, competition level, and coaching. She'll make new friends on the new team. And even if she doesn't and it's a "strictly business" kind of situation, she'll still have fun if it's the right team.

Jun 27, 2018
Echoing everyone else's remarks, but there will come a time in travel ball when staying with friends can no longer be a priority. Softball is a much more individual sport than the average Joe may believe. Take the spot that will be best for your daughter in terms of playing time, competition level, and coaching. She'll make new friends on the new team. And even if she doesn't and it's a "strictly business" kind of situation, she'll still have fun if it's the right team.

Absolutely true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 6, 2013
I'm going to repeat the sentiment express earlier about how some "higher" level younger teams can be cliquish. We absolutely found that to be the case when DD was younger - especially with well established teams that had been together since 8U or younger which it sounds like this team has. I also think @ 10U - a 3 hour round trip is pretty brutal unless you just live in a rural area where there are no other options. That being said - as you said if you think your daughter can be the #1 or #2 on an A team then I see the benefit of switching teams over being the #1 on a C team. Pitching time is important but pitching against good hitters is also important. So..... I'm of absolutely no help, lol. Good luck to your daughter - ultimately it is about her being happy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449