Need advice-Travel Team and Practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2016
Hey everyone!

I have a question about missing practices on a 10u travel team. My DD was recently asked to play on another team that is rec ball, she knows some of the players and families on the team and for the most part it does not conflict with her travel team's schedule. I thought out of courtesy I would tell the travel team of my intentions of having my DD play for both, but let the Rec team know that the travel team has priority. I stated the only time my DD would miss a practice with her travel team is if the Rec team has a game. This will happen maybe a handful of times, if even that. The Rec team has told me they will be starting my daughter every game, due to them having very few games in a season (usually 10 in a 2 month period). I know my DD won't start in her preferred position every game with her travel team, which I am okay with. Long story short, I was informed by one of the coaches that if my DD missed even 1 practice for the Rec team game that she would not get to start in that weekend's tournament. Is this common? Her starting with her travel team isn't a huge deal to me because I know she will get a lot of playing time anyway, but I have a feeling this rule only applies to my DD and doesn't apply to the other girls who miss for birthday parties or vacations or other things. I didn't realize this was such a big thing at 10u. DD wants to do both and honestly with the schedule it is do-able, so I didn't really see the big deal. She won't be missing any tournaments for her travel team, and she won't go to the Rec teams practice over her travel teams either. Thoughts?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Never had an issue with one of my TB players missing a practice to get game reps. If the kid has the love of the game and the support of their family to do both, who am I to hold her back?

Apr 5, 2016
From what I have witnessed, no. My DD never misses practice, this would only be a 2 month thing, just to get more game time. Other players have missed many practices over the last few months and nothing has been said or done.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
At 10U -14U I would expect my players to play multiple sports and have all kind of outside activities. At that level it is about friends, having fun, love of the game, etc. Starting with the 2nd year of 14U and their foray into HS the wheat starts to naturally separate from the chaff.

Once they start playing on college showcase teams its is another matter. For us they must be fully committed to playing college softball and must be their top priority. If they cannot balance their life and make it to two practices a week and tournaments on the weekend, they will not make it playing college ball.

I have no problem with girls playing multiple sports and I will work around their schedules during our "off-season."

However, rec softball is not another sport and if you miss one of my practices to go to another softball anything, your butt will be on the bench doing spray charts all weekend. You do "other" softball things (hitting coaches, pitching coaches, etc.) on your own time, not mine.

If you do it twice, I really hope you like your rec team because until you can find another travel team, that's all you're going to have.

To me, if you still have a pull toward rec, you really aren't ready to be on my team, anyway. Missing anything on my team for anything rec shows a lack of commitment that simply will not be tolerated by me, my assistants or your teammates and their families.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The coach is using a double standard and essentially setting unrealistic expectations for a 10 year old.

You tried to be forthcoming and honest. So now it looks like your DD with just have to have a few colds and school commitments this spring and not be able to make a couple travel practices. ;)

Sep 29, 2014
Just depends on the 10U coach, this is actually the beginning of softball season so other activities should be winding down. Only exception that is obvious might be pitcher getting circle time that TB coach won't give them.

As a general rule its #1 TB games #2 Rec games #3 TB practices and #4 Rec practices but that is assuming everyone is playing nice together. Just be up front with both coaches and ask them to be upfront about consequences and then make your decision ready to accept the consequences...but we are talking 10U for crying out loud!! If the coach is going to let Suzie miss practice for birthday parties and Jessica miss practice for soccer that is a double standard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA