NECC Summer Camp

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2013
Ok, who's been to the NECC Summer Camp? Got DD signed up for the August session. 10u, so she will be there in the morning. What can she expect? Is it pretty intense? I'm hoping she comes away with a better appreciation for blocking and footwork.

She's attended a D1 softball camp nearby the past two years. but it's so generalized and packed, she didn't get much out of it softball wise. She had a great time though. :D

Also, what's in the area for afternoon and evening activities?

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
sb03dad,

Glad to hear your daughter will be joining us for camp!

Certainly I'll let some of the other members here give you their impressions of the camp, as my opinion is a bit biased. I will say that we've hosted catchers from 47 of the 50 states, Canada, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, so I have to believe we're doing something right :).

I will say this, though. Our camp focuses on building the mechanics behind each skill in a way that every catcher understands not just how, but also understands the why behind what is taught. We spend a lot of time on blocking and on footwork throughout the week, among every other skill a catcher is asked to perform behind the plate.

As for activities in the area...

There is also a ton to do around here!

We have an amusement park (Canobie Lake Park) 20 minutes away (Canobie Lake Park... Just for fun!), we have two minor league ballparks within 20 minutes of us and one college summer wooden bat league right down the road. The New Hampshire Fisher Cats (AA affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays), the Lowell Spinners (Single-A affiliate of the Boston Redsox) and the Nashua Silver Knights (Collegiate Futures League). The Fisher Cats ball park is one of the best Minor League ball parks in the country and is a great place to take the family for a night (and it is cheap). There are some great golf courses within 10 minutes. We have a SkyVenture indoor skydiving place right down the street (SkyVenture Indoor Skydiving New Hampshire), there is an IMAX theater 20 minutes away and the Merrimack Outlets 10 minutes away (Merrimack Premium Outlets)

If you like the beach, Hampton Beach is less than an hour away (Hampton Beach, New Hampshire - The Premier Vacation Spot on the NH Seacoast and a Whole Lot More!) I highly recommend checking out some of the restaurants up there serving cheap fresh Maine lobster!), Boston is 35-45 minutes away (all depends on traffic) and there is a ton to do there, including off-broadway shows (Blue Man Group, etc...), the Red Sox and Fenway Park, the Boston Aquarium and the Museum of Fine Arts.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me on here, call or e-mail. Also, please check your PM for a message.

Look forward to having you guys up!

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2013
Alright Folks,

Halfway through this camp... It's already worth every penny spent. Everything in the DVD is reinforced. Noticed a couple of slight differences. Will have to watch the DVD again to make sure it's not my brain playing tricks on me.

Jay covered some high level throwing in the second day. Ran through some drills similar to Austins high level throwing patterns.

Have been very impressed with staff and depth of knowledge they possess.

Definitely looking forward to the next two days.

Oh, DD has really enjoyed it as well.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Alright Folks,

Halfway through this camp... It's already worth every penny spent. Everything in the DVD is reinforced. Noticed a couple of slight differences. Will have to watch the DVD again to make sure it's not my brain playing tricks on me.

Jay covered some high level throwing in the second day. Ran through some drills similar to Austins high level throwing patterns.

Have been very impressed with staff and depth of knowledge they possess.

Definitely looking forward to the next two days.

Oh, DD has really enjoyed it as well.

Thanks.
We wanted to sent dd and dw really bad, but couldn't find airfare for under $500 each and just couldn't work that. I am sure dw will be suggesting they go to Florida for winter school if that is on again.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
What are the closest airports to fly into for the camp location? Out of curiosity, which three states are yet to have participants?

Jan 7, 2013
If you can get into Manchester, that's definitely easiest. We were able to pick up a rental car, drive to Nashua and check into the hotel within an hour.

That's a good question on which States aren't represented. We've met players from Alabama, Virginia, Florida, Maine, Illinois, California, Connecticut, Massachusetts and, of course, New Hampshire.

Jan 7, 2013
Just wanted to brag on my DD a moment, and especially brag on Jay, his camp and New Hampshire.

DD went her first practice with a new team. It was hitting practice, but they took some time out to let DD work with the pitcher. Nothing special really. We saw great catching technique at camp. This pitcher had a wicked drop, Dd has to be on her game to handle it. Anyway here comes the brag, one of the ACs took his own DD aside and said watcht this girl. This is how you're supposed to do it. This is my affirmation that she left the NECC a better player and equipped to handle the rigors of class A fastpitch. Thank you, Jay and your quality staff.

New Hampshire was a pleasant surprise. The weather was perfect. We hit Canibie Lake park, extremely clean throwback amusement park. Had a wonderful time. We also took in a New Hampshire Fisher Cats game. Great park. Had dinner at niceite restaurant in Nashua called Surf. Superb. Had a Lunch at a little Italian place whose name escapes
me, also superb. Above it all, everyone one we ran into and talked to was very friendly. Looking forward to going back next year.
If you can take your kid to Jays camp, make time and do so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish