my dd wants to go back to FL to play ball ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Is it possible to have the best of both worlds? If you have family in Fl, why can't you find a team that would allow her to play certain tournaments for them during times of the year. She can play the showcase events with the NY team when she is up there. Most teams post their schedule several months in advance. Play for her Fl team 3 or 4 times a year. The better question would be where does she want to go to college? If it up north, she may have to make peace with the fact she moved. If it is in Fl, you may have to let her stay in FL during the summer months at least.

When I moved to Fl, 25 years ago, I remember every year I missed up north a little less. As she gets her friends and life together in her new enviornment, she will hopefully miss "real softball" a little less. BTW, there are some very good NE teams she could look into. We played Newtorn Rock from PA in a tournament. They have players from all over and are well coached and a great team. You just have to keep looking.

Oct 25, 2009
my dd is 15 and for last 6 months she want to go back to FL to play softball . We moved up here to NY 2yrs ago and she been great. she is playing ball with a showcase team this year but the team just doesn't have enough to offer her. its great that the coach adores her ,she is a leader on this team both physically and mental . she is the kind of player that all coaches want aleast 1 or 2 solid core players. the problem is that we are having, is she is not happy with herself, I let her go about 6 weeks ago to play for her old team in FL and when she came back she was the dd that she used to be 2 yrs ago. she was just such a different person , she had that spark in her eyes again. the night I picked her up at the airport all she said was, that was the best feeling to be back home and playing real softball again MOM. I have talked to my sister who still lives in FL ,there is not problem with my dd staying in FL ! but there is no way I can let her go ! I'm I being selfish !!! the only thing I regret in my life is not living for my dreams , but living someone else's . so now the table has turned . what would you all do in my situation ? let her live out her dream of softball since she was 4yrs old or have her wish she could of!!!!!

Don't let her go! Move back to Florida! Three years will fly! Then they are grown! What's the worst that could happen?

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
catcher23, my 16 yo son is "home" but this summer already, he spent one week at USNA, is now hiking with BSA troop for 2 1/2 weeks, comes home, leaves for scout camp same day, then when he is back I am off to a tournament with my daughter and will not be home. So for more than 5 weeks, I will not see much if any of him, even though he is home. Many parents send there kids to camp for much of the summer.

I am not sure if you are asking about your DD spending the summer in FL to play softball- then back to school in NY- or her going down there permanently. I think letting her go for the summer season would work for me- especially at that age, I would have a harder time letting her go to school- there and leave home - but I think if I thought it would make that much of a difference to her playing I would have to consider it, especially if she would be staying with family. Ultimately, you need a family discussion to sort out what is most important for your family and for her. There are some excellent softball players that come from the Northeast, so it can be done if she stays up here during the winter.

Aug 14, 2011
We live in North Carolina. My DD has played on a Gold team based out of Florida for 2 years. She can't really attend practice, but that agreement was made with the coach. She practices on her own and flys to tournaments to meet the team. A few tourneys are in Florida but most are in other states. She is 100% a team member and those girls are her best friends. But she lives with us all year. It wasn't a cheap option, but it was a good one, it worked out, and we got the best of both worlds.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz