my 12yo's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is a perfect example of where the tee goes in relationship to the plate - and then, where the front foot goes. I measure it by laying the bat across the plate, but he touches the inside of the plate with the bat.

Many batters touch the outside of the plate with the bat and that brings too much of the bat head outside of the strike zone.

Oct 25, 2009
Yeah, it looks like what megsbigfan described. I've been calling it a kick-stride drill. I use it for working on coiling. I explained to the players that it is just a drill but that some batters actually use it in games. A few of the kids actually use it in games. One does it right with the timing right on. One does it just because I said so but I can tell from watching her that she doesn't "feel it" just yet. She kick-strides but comes to a dead stop, then swings.

Oct 25, 2009
This is a perfect example of where the tee goes in relationship to the plate - and then, where the front foot goes. I measure it by laying the bat across the plate, but he touches the inside of the plate with the bat.

Many batters touch the outside of the plate with the bat and that brings too much of the bat head outside of the strike zone.

This is what I don't want. This is what causes many players to reach for a pitched ball. It works great from a tee because the ball is at the end of the swing, thus it's hit with almost full extension. You don't want to be at full extension at contact on a pitched ball.

Nov 5, 2010
Ohio
Thanks Wellphyt, that is the video I was referring to. We went back to the field tonight and worked on it again and she hit her first ball over the fence (she was pumped) she hit it out to dead center 185 to 200 ft. I was standing slightly off to her right about ten feet away laying them in to her, check it out.

over the fence - YouTube

http://youtu.be/kZk8GrZ6-6Q

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks Wellphyt, that is the video I was referring to. We went back to the field tonight and worked on it again and she hit her first ball over the fence (she was pumped) she hit it out to dead center 185 to 200 ft. I was standing slightly off to her right about ten feet away laying them in to her, check it out.

over the fence - YouTube

over the fence - YouTube

Great!! If that don't make you smile nothing will!

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

over the fence - YouTube

over the fence - YouTube

I hope you saved the ball:) There is a lot to like in her HR swing.

Just be careful with this drill. Here is a quote from the video:
"It's ok to exaggerate this movement. You're not going to do it in a game. We're just working on the concept..." -- Cal Ripkin Jr.

Have you discussed with your daughter the purpose of the drill? Have you talked to her about why it's important to coil?

The one thing that concerns me about this video is the following comment from Cal:

"...we're going to take the weight from both feet to the back side, and then transfer the weight to the front side..."

I would keep reminding your daughter that the backward weight shift is the turn of the hips back around a firm rear leg, and not a sway backwards with her weight getting over her back foot. The forward weight shift is the hips unwinding and turning forward. The entire weight shift is done with the hips. Any backward or forward linear movement is done mainly for balance purposes.

When it was pointed out to Ted Williams that he shifted weight onto his back foot when he performed his hip cock, he responded by saying that he only shifted enough back to balance. IOW you have to shift some weight backwards onto your back foot when you pick up your front foot to cock/coil your hips or you will fall on your face.

I don't think your daughter is getting too much weight over her back foot in her HR swing. It looks about right to me. If you pause the clip at different points in the swing, she gets into some nice positions. Just make sure she doesn't get carrried away with the drill and start over doing it. I believe the concept of the drill is to teach the turning action of the hips, and not to promote getting weight over the back foot.

As she gets more comfortable with the coil-uncoil action, you will probably have to remind her to straighten her front knee into contact to keep her from getting too much weight forward.

Nov 5, 2010
Ohio
Thanks again Wellphyt, Yes I have explained to her why we're working on this and I think she's beginning to "feel it". We will continue working on this and try to tone down the front leg movement in the upcoming weeks, she hit well in tryouts the other night and is starting to pull the ball more to the left side so I hope we're heading in the right direction.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish