Multiple Hitting Instructors, or Just One?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2011
Hi all, hope you're enjoying the day off.
Since it is now the off-season and I can't play travel ball, I decided to get in great softball shape and take some hitting lessons once a week instead of moping around the house. Since I live 5 minutes from Crystl Bustos' training facility, I was thinking I could take one lesson a month from Bustos, another lesson from Tracee McCoy who is at the Bustos facility, and take two more lessons with another guy (Mark Hamilton). So I'd be taking one lesson a week. Do you recommend this? Or should I stick with just one?
Thanks

Oct 25, 2009
Not a bad idea--maybe.

Assuming they all teach the same mechanics, I believe it would be great to find one that you really feel communicates with you the best. Or maybe one who is always going to be there. Or maybe get a lesson for some specific part of hitting--instead of a general lesson. At some point, though, I feel like you would be better off with one.

You're lucky to have choices like that; think of unique ways that can benefit you.

Also consider other aspects of your game. Do you know how to run? Really know how to run?

Why can't you play TB?

May 17, 2011
Well, Mark Hamilton is the only one I could afford to go to every week. But since he is so cheap but well liked in the area, maybe I could use the rest of my money for a new bat ;)

And dad decided he wanted his weekends open instead of driving and watching me play.

Mar 25, 2011
Stasia, I'm sure there is more to it than that. I think you would do yourself well to sit down with dad and tell him how disappointed you are that you can't play. Be honest and open with him, and give him a chance to also. It's tough for dads to tell their children the real reason behind decisions a lot of times. It sounds like it's probably money, and that is really tough for a dad to admit.

Last edited:
May 17, 2011
Stasia, I'm sure there is more to it than that. I think you would do yourself well to sit down with dad and tell him how disappointed you are that you can't play. Be honest and open with him, and give him a chance to also. It's tough for dads to tell their children the real reason behind decisions a lot of times. It sounds like it's probably money, and that is really tough for a dad to admit.

I've talked to my dad a few times about it. He knows I really want to play TB and I really love softball, but I know money isn't the reason. He even told me it wasn't. My dad savors free time and if his weekends are full, he has a fit. It's hard to not play TB, especially with me trying to get college interest, but there is always next summer. That's why I want to get a hitting instructor (and in the fall, fielding) so I can play the best of my abilities next HS season. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm still upset to the point of tears that I'm not playing this summer. Hopefully my dad will be okay with me trying out for TB this summer and playing in the fall and winter, when I'll finally have my license and be able to drive myself.

Dec 28, 2008
Stasia,

Softball aside, I am very impressed with your maturity and understanding that there is more to your fathers life than just your softball. Most young ladies are exactly the opposite, and are only focused on themselves.

Any batting instructor you go to is going to want you to do 10 times the work on your own that you do with them. So if you pay for 30 minutes of lessons, you should do 5 hours of hitting on your own during the week. The worst thing you can do is go to lessons every week but not practice. If you don't already have a batting tee and a bunch of wiffle balls you should skip 1 lesson and buy a $20 tee and a couple of dozen wiffle balls.

As a batting instructor my goal is to get girls to master a skill through practice so that they aren't constantly thinking at the plate. The problem you may face going to 3 different instructors may end up being that each is asking you to focus on a different element of your swing (mechanics) and you will be thinking so much that you can't just let it become muscle memory.

In terms of choosing an instructor you need to identify clearly up front what you are looking to improve. Most girls will reply "I want to hit better." That is a terrible goal, because it can't be measured. You could feel terrible after 1 bad at bat and not believe you are getting better. So you have to be more specific "I hit .475 now off of slow pitchers, but I'm terrified to face the faster pitches." So you need to be confident your instructor understands that and can help you gain confidence that speed isn't an issue. Or you could say "I hit the ball but it's always popups or grounders and they never leave the infield. I really want to hit for more power." Or you might say "I always try to pull the ball I need to learn how to hit the ball where it is supposed to be hit." Or if you were really honest you might tell them up front that you are terrified of striking out and that you really need confidence that you can hit. Lots of different reasons, and it's important that you are totally honest up front, and that you give about 6 weeks to judge whether or not they are helping you move towards that goal. If they are great, but are you teaching you "things" instead of helping you reach your "true" goals, then you need to choose a different instructor.

Best of luck.

May 17, 2011
Stasia,

Softball aside, I am very impressed with your maturity and understanding that there is more to your fathers life than just your softball. Most young ladies are exactly the opposite, and are only focused on themselves.

Any batting instructor you go to is going to want you to do 10 times the work on your own that you do with them. So if you pay for 30 minutes of lessons, you should do 5 hours of hitting on your own during the week. The worst thing you can do is go to lessons every week but not practice. If you don't already have a batting tee and a bunch of wiffle balls you should skip 1 lesson and buy a $20 tee and a couple of dozen wiffle balls.

As a batting instructor my goal is to get girls to master a skill through practice so that they aren't constantly thinking at the plate. The problem you may face going to 3 different instructors may end up being that each is asking you to focus on a different element of your swing (mechanics) and you will be thinking so much that you can't just let it become muscle memory.

In terms of choosing an instructor you need to identify clearly up front what you are looking to improve. Most girls will reply "I want to hit better." That is a terrible goal, because it can't be measured. You could feel terrible after 1 bad at bat and not believe you are getting better. So you have to be more specific "I hit .475 now off of slow pitchers, but I'm terrified to face the faster pitches." So you need to be confident your instructor understands that and can help you gain confidence that speed isn't an issue. Or you could say "I hit the ball but it's always popups or grounders and they never leave the infield. I really want to hit for more power." Or you might say "I always try to pull the ball I need to learn how to hit the ball where it is supposed to be hit." Or if you were really honest you might tell them up front that you are terrified of striking out and that you really need confidence that you can hit. Lots of different reasons, and it's important that you are totally honest up front, and that you give about 6 weeks to judge whether or not they are helping you move towards that goal. If they are great, but are you teaching you "things" instead of helping you reach your "true" goals, then you need to choose a different instructor.

Best of luck.

WOW, thank you so much! It took me a while to learn that if you want anything in life as a young person, maturity helps.
I am willing to do any work or practice, since practice builds skills.
I definitely have two goals when I go to the plate : really see the ball, and to build a swing that feels natural (when I swing I feel tight and off balance with little power). Thanks for the insight, I'll talk to my dad and give Mark a call later in the week.

Any insight anyone might have is greatly wanted!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG