Mound Time?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Get her circle time. It's a good way to see what your DD needs to work on. No matter how good or bad they look in practice sessions, games are a different beast and in those situations you can see what is sticking and what needs to be reinforced.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
How do you get better without getting mound time? In practice she can look great but put a hitter up and she tends to be more wild.

Is your DD taking pitching lessons? Is the pitching coaching teaching IR mechanics? How many days/week is she practicing at home? Circle time is great, but the extra work at home is where pitchers really improve.

Nov 15, 2016
Yes pitching coach and yes they believe in IR. They just didn't know the name of it. She also takes lessons from a girl at the Highschool who is going full ride to D1 powerhouse. She committed as Freshmen a total beast. We pitch probably 4-5 days a week at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
IR is a DFP accurnim. Unless you read this board you will always get a confused look.

Sent an email with DD in it, what does DD Mean? Lol

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Can you tell me how you practice "throwing strikes"? What do you do to improve her control?

Everyone hates the phrase "just throw stirkes", but a pitcher isn't going to get circle time if she is wild.

Nov 15, 2016
We practice hitting spots and pretend batters and counts. I also have set up a tee and a net and have her pitch to the tee and try to hit the ball that is sitting on it.

Sep 29, 2014
We practice hitting spots and pretend batters and counts. I also have set up a tee and a net and have her pitch to the tee and try to hit the ball that is sitting on it.

First DO NOT sacrifice mechanics or speed just to "throw strikes".

Second putting a ball on a tee to practice throwing strikes is a good drill that I use but it needs to be a BASKETBALL; putting a softball on the tee encourages aiming too much.

At 10U trying to gain control she needs to be able to hit the basketball most of the time.

Now when she can hit the basketball say 75% of the time it is time to turn this drill on it head (this might take a long time, remember no losing speed or aiming)...now she has to throw strikes with the basketball still on the tee but this time the strikes can NOT hit the ball. This is how she will gain real control and not get pounded as she faces better hitting.

Also be careful many tees don't go low enough the basketball should be from mid thigh to waist range not waist to letters range.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2016
First DO NOT sacrifice mechanics or speed just to "throw strikes".

Second putting a ball on a tee to practice throwing strikes is a good drill that I use but it needs to be a BASKETBALL; putting a softball on the tee encourages aiming too much.

At 10U trying to gain control she needs to be able to hit the basketball most of the time.

Now when she can hit the basketball say 75% of the time it is time to turn this drill on it head (this might take a long time, remember no losing speed or aiming)...now she has to throw strikes with the basketball still on the tee but this time the strikes can NOT hit the ball. This is how she will gain real control and not get pounded as she faces better hitting.

Also be careful many tees don't go low enough the basketball should be from mid thigh to waist range not waist to letters range.

Good thought.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207