Most overlooked position?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
Catcher.

I'm really happy with DD's coaching staff and I don't mind that they only occasionally work on catching drills. They know that DD has her own catching instructor and the backup catcher's father was a catcher himself. However, I do wish there was time every now and then to work with the SS and catchers on throwdowns and with the pitchers and catchers on passed balls. I'm still hoping to arrange for the SS and the two pitchers to come to a catching lesson sometime, but it's hard to fit into our schedules.

I see what folks mean about 1st though, and how many games were lost or put in jeopardy at the WCWS by problems at first?! Washington looked amazing on defense (at least up until their last game) and I've got to think a big part of that was due to having Hooch Fagaly.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
They know that DD has her own catching instructor

I would have said catcher before reading the responses in this thread, but this is a great point right here.

I think most coaches do overlook catchers, and the "catch the ball for the coach during IF practice" burns me up, but the better catchers I know of do go to instructors for the position, and the coaches know or expect that.

Never heard of a kid going to First Base (or RF) lessons. I can now see that position being TOTALLY overlooked/mis-tought

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think catchers like pitchers need to understand they she be working outside of practice.

I think it is outfield, I tried to find a list a coach had posted on here a while back about OF responsibilities, it probably had over 50 things on it, I can promise you half of them never got coached. How many times do you see OF cost teams games, while IF gets glory usually their mistakes result in one base if an OF makes a mistake it is usually more than one base.

As a former first baseman I do agree with much of what Amy said I see so many players stretching out before the ball is even thrown giving them zero chance for adjustment, even the simply things like you MUST catch the ball regardless of where it is thrown...yes that means if to catch the ball your foot must leave the bag so be it, no outs and a runner on first beats no outs and a runner on second every time.
If you want to be good at your position, regardless of the position. You need to be working at it on your own outside of practice.

May 18, 2009
I posted this topic because of all the tournaments I see lost due to these two positions. Catchers catch the throw backs for coaches in practice and I think it would be more productive if the catcher was in stance or working a tag out position prior to tossing the ball back to the coach. More often than not the catcher is standing on first base side of coach when they could be working the third base line preventing a run by practicing technique for tag outs. Outfielders aren't taught enough. Someone said it best, a passed ball in the outfield leads to 2 or more extra bases. Then there's backup responsibility. Taking proper angles. Coaching where to throw. I've seen games lost because the outfielder doesn't get the ball back in. They freeze and don't know where to throw. It's one thing to work pop flys but people need to place two base runners on when doing outfield drills. I just don't see enough of that.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I think catchers like pitchers need to understand they she be working outside of practice.

^^^^^Agree 110%.

Catchers catch the throw backs for coaches in practice and I think it would be more productive if the catcher was in stance or working a tag out position prior to tossing the ball back to the coach.

We do work that ( tag out ) to a degree, but let's face it, never a whole 45mins to hour of infield practice.

I've seen games lost because the outfielder doesn't get the ball back in. They freeze and don't know where to throw.

Their nearest cutoff or OF back up should be calling where the play is. The outfielder just prior to possession should have been "told" where the throw should go, she should never need to look around after the catch. That's her teammates job to call/relay the play.

I believe catchers/pitchers are specialty jobs. Both take a ton of PERSONAL dedication. I don't think the average "Coach Buttermaker" is going to give them top level training. In my time around the parks a good C/P either went to private instruction, had an older sibling who played same position in top orgs or college, had a coach who played same position in college or beyond, and genetics always help.

Now that I'm getting older ( yuk ) what I see with people I use to play with, now if dad was a catcher.........so is the son/DD, dad was a pitcher........so is the son/DD, dad was a SS........so is the son/DD. And what that really boils down to is those children are usually getting after hours home instruction too.

Dont just pile it all on the coach to teach 12-13 kids "everything" in a few hours a week. Get outside with your own kid, you might just like it. :)

Jun 1, 2013
@ Goingdeep.... I agree with all you said except the last lines. I bet you would be hard pressed to find anyone on this board that doesn't work with their daughter or have someone work with their daughter. You know what is better than working with your player or having someone else work with her? It's also having the coach of her team work with her. The coach's job is to make everyone better, not just middle infield. Yes, it is time consuming and eats away practice time but you are only as strong as your weakest position. Work everyone as much as reasonably possible at their positions, don't neglect any position. If more AC's are needed, get them if possible or call special practices for certain players. Wins and losses are not the mark of a successful season, player improvement is. Ever see those girls that are 14 and can't throw the ball from short to first? That crap happens because coaches don't take the time to make every kid better. It ain't easy and sometimes it ain't fun but coaches are there (supposed to be) for every kid at every position all season. Not just talent collectors but talent developers.My $.02

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
@ Goingdeep.... I agree with all you said except the last lines. I bet you would be hard pressed to find anyone on this board that doesn't work with their daughter or have someone work with their daughter. You know what is better than working with your player or having someone else work with her? It's also having the coach of her team work with her. The coach's job is to make everyone better, not just middle infield. Yes, it is time consuming and eats away practice time but you are only as strong as your weakest position. Work everyone as much as reasonably possible at their positions, don't neglect any position. If more AC's are needed, get them if possible or call special practices for certain players. Wins and losses are not the mark of a successful season, player improvement is. Ever see those girls that are 14 and can't throw the ball from short to first? That crap happens because coaches don't take the time to make every kid better. It ain't easy and sometimes it ain't fun but coaches are there (supposed to be) for every kid at every position all season. Not just talent collectors but talent developers.My $.02

Earlier years and experiences for us, 5-10. Rec and travel.

Coaching is a lot like going to school to me. The field is the classroom. School hours for most are 2 hours two nights a week, and then a test on the weekends (TB tourney ) or week nights ( rec games ). Coaches try to manage those 2 hour classes the best they can, instructing the team as a whole.

During class it's the coach's job to see who is not keeping up with today's "lesson". Many times I've worked with someone who needed it for the last part of practice, one on one. Then I assign homework. Work on this, either alone / dad / neighbor / teammate / mom / grandpaw. Sad part is you could tell at the next practice who had done their homework and who hadn't. You could tell who WANTED to get better and was driven to get there, and the ones who HOPED they would just wake up and one day be better.

Special practice for certain players

My house always had an open invitation for help. My buddy has a nice batting cage in his backyard and his garage is converted for indoor workouts........he always had open invitations. The town fields were open every Sunday for free for whoever wanted to use them, again it was common knowledge some of us would be there at ____ time, open to all players. The fact of the matter is the same few girls call and ask for help or extra training. Those same few are who we left rec with and traveled full time from 10u forward.

Long story short, a coach can only show you the door.........it's up to the individual to get off the couch and walk through it.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
C has IMHO the worst ratio of pressure to training, and is hampered further by so many coaches thinking they know how to coach the position.

OF gets ignored until the bombs start falling out there, but to a large degree they catch up pretty fast. The details do get missed, but most coaches seem to be able to get the first 70% of the training done.

DD played 1B for years as a second position, but we're learning now how little they actually taught her, and each successive(and better) coach tends to have some unlearning work to slow things down.

I think the blanket statement about individual work is always true, but without proper instruction, it's mostly wasted.

catcher23

all softball
Jun 4, 2013
new york , flordia
CATCHERS is the most overlooked positions !!!!!!!!! I am catcher and have 14dd and 8dd both r catchers . a catcher is the quarterback on the team she calls games and makes play's happen by reading each batter and knowing the situation that is needed to get the jobs done. We all take your dd to pitching coaches and clinics! where is the catching coaches ?
I watched a 10u tournament this weekend and every 10u catcher didn't even know how to drop and block or how to set up a target! if u have a catcher that know's how to give a target and can move it around the corners and read the batters at 10u think about her in the future. I have proudly and personally seen it ! we started our now 14dd catching at 6 and now she a stud player at 14 yr old she plays 18 u showcase. our 8yr dd now, had a advantage she was dragged 2 every game or tournament of 14 dd and watched and learned and now she is becoming a great catcher !

my oldest dd always says it's a pitchers job is to pitch strikes for the out. but its the catches judgement that makes a strike look good for call. and when there a BB the pitcher didn't do the job! now its the catches job to get it finished for that missed out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl