Most overlooked position?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
I would say outfield especially at the younger ages because that is where coaches put kids that cannot catch. Sort of ironic that is where many wind up playing as they get older. I never seen a parent get mad that their dd was pulled from left and put at ss, but wars started when the other way around. There is more to outfield than the 15 or 20 min. spent on it at practice just catching pop ups.

May 10, 2010
I would say outfield especially at the younger ages because that is where coaches put kids that cannot catch. Sort of ironic that is where many wind up playing as they get older. I never seen a parent get mad that their dd was pulled from left and put at ss, but wars started when the other way around. There is more to outfield than the 15 or 20 min. spent on it at practice just catching pop ups.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I would say the catcher is the number one under coached position. There is SOOO much more to it than just receiving the pitch....

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Catcher without a doubt. Just watch most teams warm up, whats the catcher doing. Catching balls thrown in from the field. Infielders are getting ground balls, outfielders are getting flyballs and one hoppers. Everyone is working on throwing to every base. Except the catcher, she is just the coaches ball retriever. Oh and for most teams she gets to throw 2-3 balls down to second and on the truly progressive teams she gets to catch a pop up the coach throws just before they leave the field. Sadly that is also exactly how practice goes as well.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Catcher without a doubt. Just watch most teams warm up, whats the catcher doing. Catching balls thrown in from the field. Infielders are getting ground balls, outfielders are getting flyballs and one hoppers. Everyone is working on throwing to every base. Except the catcher, she is just the coaches ball retriever. Oh and for most teams she gets to throw 2-3 balls down to second and on the truly progressive teams she gets to catch a pop up the coach throws just before they leave the field. Sadly that is also exactly how practice goes as well.

Hard to argue agin' that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl