MLB: replay challenges: love 'em, hate 'em, indifferent?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
i think they should just have an extra umpire at each game to do the replays, he would be announced at the start of the game with the others and would be checking all plays, if something was missed he would contact the on-field umpires, no challenges or long slow walks

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The double play call? Do you mean that the overturned call should have been overturned, reinstating the double play and subtracting the run? Or do you mean Saturday's game, where the runner on second should have been out but was called safe?

The Red Sox - Yankee's game where the runner slid into second, the infielder held his glove on his leg and while getting up, the runner came off of the bag by a lot with the glove still on the leg. It was reviewed, the camera held the still on TV for a long time and yet, the safe call was not overturned.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Aha - I figured that was the play that you meant. I didn't see that game - the weather was nice on Saturday so DD's team got to play. They had the exact same play - DD's team was in the field and tagged out a girl at second as she overran the base. Happily, our umpires got the call right.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Not in favor of the instant replay at all. There are 4 or sometimes more umpires out there to cover the action; each knowing what their responsibility is for probably every situation of every pitch. And after watching so many plays and instant replays for so many years I am amazed at how many times they get those very close calls correct. These guys are good! And 99% of the time they are right on top of their post. Are they perfect? No...no one is at their job. And when they are wrong or miss a call I remind myself that on the average everything averages out.

Overall I am disappointed MLB brought IR in.

IR...there it is again....It's EVERYWHERE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gcsurfer