Missed Base Appeal Procedure

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Appeal when a runner misses a base.

Could someone educate and walk us through the correct procedure for making an appeal when a runner misses a base.

Situation 1. Batter runner misses 1st base on a triple.

Situation 2: Base runner on 3rd. Base runner scores on a base hit, does not touch home plate, continues on and enters the dugout.

Thanks,

T

Mar 1, 2013
It's pretty simply, really.

If the ball is still live, just return the ball to a fielder at the base and have them hold the ball while contacting the base. Tell the ump that you are appealing that the batter runner (situation 1) or runner (situation 2) missed the base/plate.

If the ball is dead, announce that you are appealing the missed base and be specific. "Blue, the batter runner missed first" or "The runner never touched home."

If there are multiple runners that scored, be as specific as possible (uniform numbers, the runner that started on 3rd, etc.). Umpires are instructed to not allow multiple appeals in an effort to "guess" an out.

On the dead ball appeal, if the ball is dead because it went out of play and there are bases awarded as a result, you need to wait until the runners have completed their base running assignments prior to making the appeal.

The appeal(s) must be made prior to the next pitch (legal or illegal). If your appeal is a "fourth out" appeal to nullify a run (such as a runner who has scored but missed a base or left too soon on a batted ball caught for an out), then the appeal must be done prior to the defense leaving the field to enter the team area/dugout. If at the end of the game, it must be made prior to the umpires leaving the field.

As noted in an earlier thread, in ASA, an infielder may make the dead ball appeal. In other associations, any member of the defense or the coach may appeal (USSSA, Pony, NFHS).

I think that about covers it.

Mar 13, 2010
As noted in an earlier thread, in ASA, any infielder with or without possession of the ball may make the dead ball appeal. In other associations, any member of the defense, with or without the ball, or the coach may appeal (USSSA, Pony, NFHS).

I think that about covers it.

eddieq....added the above to the rule cite for the proper dead ball appeal process, red applicable for ASA, blue applicable for USSSA & PONY. Can't speak for NFHS

Working all three (ASA, USSSA, PONY) during my summer travel ball season, I always make sure to pre-game the proper appeal process for the code we're working so as a crew we don't mess it up, and that if required, can explain the process properly to a coach.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013
Thank you sir. Every time I feel I'm being "thorough" I realize I'm not "thorough enough". Point taken!

Nov 17, 2010
Question about ASA rule on dead ball appeals.

As noted in an earlier thread, in ASA, an infielder may make the dead ball appeal. In other associations, any member of the defense or the coach may appeal (USSSA, Pony, NFHS).

So, if I understand this, ONLY an infielder may make a dead ball appeal - not a coach. Does that preclude a coach from asking for time and talking with the infielder before they make the appeal? Or simply telling an infielder - "ask the umpire for an appeal that #12 missed third base". Sometimes a missed base situation is not clearly seen by the defense, perhaps a coach sees it first.

Also, would an umpire deny an appeal from the left fielder - or would I have to convince blue that we have nine infielders - we just choose to play three of them very deep. :)

Mar 1, 2013
So, if I understand this, ONLY an infielder may make a dead ball appeal - not a coach. Does that preclude a coach from asking for time and talking with the infielder before they make the appeal? Or simply telling an infielder - "ask the umpire for an appeal that #12 missed third base". Sometimes a missed base situation is not clearly seen by the defense, perhaps a coach sees it first.

Also, would an umpire deny an appeal from the left fielder - or would I have to convince blue that we have nine infielders - we just choose to play three of them very deep. :)

Master Sergeant Reynolds used to tell me all the time, "Keep It Simple, Stupid" :D Don't over complicate it. Nothing precludes the coach from shouting instructions to the defense to do this.

Remember, ASA is the only association (that we've mentioned) that identifies that any "infielder" (with or without the ball) may make a dead ball appeal for a runner missing a base or leaving a base too soon. In your example, sure, the coach can yell, "Hey Virginia, appeal that number 12 missed third!"

As far as your left fielder making the appeal, the likelihood of your left fielder having a better view of 3rd than your 3rd baseman is pretty low. That is probably why ASA indicates "infielder" in the rules. In the event that F7 saw her miss 3rd, though, nothing prevents her from running in and telling F5 to make the appeal.

Either way, the rulebook defines "Infielder" as a player defending the area around 1st, 2nd or 3rd base or the shortstop area. If your left fielder is playing right behind 3rd base, I guess that qualifies. If she is in the "normal" position for F7, she's an outfielder.

Mar 13, 2010

No not at all.
ASA rules allow for three charged defensive conferences per game. If you still have a conference available, request time and instruct one of your infielders as to what you want her to do after the conference has ended.

In the later situation, there's no rule prohibiting a coach from calling out instructions to a player on the field.

The rule is that when a request for an appeal (live ball or dead ball) an umpire it must be made by an infielder.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
FPump, speaking strictly ASA, that last portion about it being an infielder is not true when it's a live ball appeal. The rule states that any fielder with the ball can make a live ball appeal by touching the base or the player (if still on the field). The requirement of an infielder specifically having to make an appeal is only in effect when the ball is dead.

As far as who is or is not an infielder, I would consider those players who are identified as F1-F6, or their substitutes, on the lineup card. Which is why I'm always anal about getting uniform numbers and positions on every lineup card I take. :) Coaches hate me for it sometimes, but it has saved my bacon more than once for a whole host of other things that you think can never happen.

Mar 13, 2010
FPump, speaking strictly ASA, that last portion about it being an infielder is not true when it's a live ball appeal. The rule states that any fielder with the ball can make a live ball appeal by touching the base or the player (if still on the field). The requirement of an infielder specifically having to make an appeal is only in effect when the ball is dead.

As far as who is or is not an infielder, I would consider those players who are identified as F1-F6, or their substitutes, on the lineup card. Which is why I'm always anal about getting uniform numbers and positions on every lineup card I take. :) Coaches hate me for it sometimes, but it has saved my bacon more than once for a whole host of other things that you think can never happen.

My reply in post#8 to Darken post#6 only referred to dead ball appeals, as that was the subject of his post....Question about ASA rule on dead ball appeals.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors