Marking Dirt with Foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is working on pushing of the plate better so she is making a couple marks in the circle with her foot before she starts pitching. I have noticed a couple of other Ps do this to.

It has to be OK to mark the dirt, with your feet, hand or glove, right? If a pitcher wanted to they could mark the Powerline? Same with infielders?

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I have never seen an umpire or coach have an issue with marking the ground. I also looked in a few rule books and can find nothing against it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks

This was not a loaded question with a rant waiting to follow. This has never been an Issue for our umpires, other Teams or us. Just wanted to confirm it was indeed OK.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
The only time I have seen an umpire call anything on a pitcher for changing or marking the pitching lane was at a College game this spring. While warming up before the first pitch, the pitcher kicked all of the dirt around in front of the rubber removing both of the pitching lane lines. When pitcher was ready for the first pitch, blue called "ball" (for removing lines) before first pitch was thrown.

Other than that, there are no rules about moving dirt in the circle.

Jun 18, 2010
I had DD do this last night for her stride target. In a game she tightens up and tends to talk a long step vs a nice leap and drag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan