Making a timid girl "Ms. Attitude"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
We have a girl on our 14U team who is 5'11" (intimidating size) and throws fire. However, she is a sweetheart and doesn't have a killer attitude when on the mound. One of her biggest fears is hitting a batter. Any suggestions as to how to get a fire lit in her and get her to be a little more aggressive?

May 1, 2011
PLEASE...whenever you get this figured out...let me know. The sweetest looking, dainty little flower that we have on DD's 10u TB team is mean as heck when she's between the chalk. Only problem is, she's so tiny, even her best efforts are sometimes weak. Then, we've got another girl that is a behemoth, and literally swings the bat like a fairy. We've talked about aggression. We've talked to her about wanting to DESTROY the softball. Her dad says she's as mean as can be at home. I don't know. So, if someone has this answer, let me know.

In all reality, there is no answer. It's about nurture over nature in this instance (or at least, that's my opinion). My wife was an only child, and grew up rough-housing with her daddy. She ended up playing college ball, and was a force to reckoned with on the field. DO NOT TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY, but some of the girls that I've seen have moms that are more worried about looking good at the park, and don't necessarily like getting a little dirt under the nails. Those are the girls that are normally a little less aggressive in my eyes. Nothing wrong with being that mom. That's all about how THEY were raised too. Just an observation.

Good luck to ya.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Many pitchers go through this, eventually they accept the "collateral damage" as part of being a pitcher.
Practicing with someone in the box helps.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Focus on the outside corners... lol
hitting batters and getting hit by pitchers is just a necs. evil of the game. Explain to her that her mechanical fundamentals will dictate... good or bad. In every sport the greatest athlete will always say that the success they've found has came through learning from their mistakes. If she hits someone, learn from it...it was probably because she pitched around her hip or pulled her shoulder out etc. Figure out why it happened and correct it.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
My DD became more aggressive with her swing at a young age by putting a face on the ball-mean teacher, girl she didn't like, or her brother. No problem with aggressiveness now. But if I could just get her to focus sometimes....

Jun 24, 2009
We have a girl on our 14U team who is 5'11" (intimidating size) and throws fire. However, she is a sweetheart and doesn't have a killer attitude when on the mound. One of her biggest fears is hitting a batter. Any suggestions as to how to get a fire lit in her and get her to be a little more aggressive?
When my DD was young she had the same problem.When I finally got the point across that it was the pitchers job to pitch and the batters job to get out of the way, it turned her attitude around.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Sometimes you have to play the cards you are dealt. You have a physical specimen who is timid. Which is a leg up on a lightweight who is aggressive, you can't teach size.

As she gets more confident in her ability she will learn to go inside more. Until then if you put too much pressure on her to be someone she isn't she might bolt. Especially if you play up the "your so big" angle. No girl wants to hear that, even if she is svelte she still does not want to be singled out for her above average size.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

I'm not sure what you mean by lack of killer insinct and aggressiveness. Are you saying she's afraid to hit batters? Or that she's really not that competitive and just likes pitching for the sake of pitching? Or both?

In any event, it sounds like you've got a girl with a lot of empathy for other people. Which is a good thing in life. I wouldn't want to snuff that out and make her Robo Pitcher (yeah, I was watching the Todd Marinovich story last night on ESPN Classic). Rather, I might try channeling her empathy away from the other team and toward her teammates. ''Your job as a pitcher is to help your team and your teammates win. They're depending on you to pitch well. You're depending on them to field well. You're in this together.'' Something like that. As for hitting batters, what Coach James said is about all you can do. Eventually, the message will stick.

Also, being competitive is not a good or bad thing in life, imo. I know we live in a country where competition is revered, and I know that in some professions and endeavors that it is an asset, but as a personal quality, it is neither here nor there. Some of the best people I know are not competitive at all. Some of those are very successful. In fact, being too competitive can hamper performance. For some people, the more they want to win, the more likely they are to choke.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Any suggestions as to how to get a fire lit in her and get her to be a little more aggressive?

How about beating her with a 2x4? That usually works wonders.

Playing well isn't about "aggressiveness" or "desire" or any such nonsense that you hear about on SportsCenter. It is about EXECUTION. She either plays the game correctly or she doesn't.

If she isn't coming inside on batters, then she isn't pitching correctly. Sit her down and let her watch someone else pitch. Tell her why she is sitting, and then put her back out there next game. Rinse and repeat.

If you can't sit her down because she is your best pitcher, then find another pitcher or two and give the one does the best job more playing time. It is a simple world.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00