Little league all stars coaches, step inside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I was chosen to coach our little league ALLSTARS team. I wanted this challenge and I really enjoy working with the girls. It is a mixture off 11, 12, and 13 yr olds that so far have had very positive chemistry. Right now my biggest challenge is will be who to start at pitcher. I have 3 that are very close but each unique in their own way. One is a lefty and the other two are less experienced but good movement pitchers. After 5 practices as a team, I feel like the group is on the right path.

I am looking for some positive experiences that anyone would care to share. Because they all play travel ball but not all on the same teams, I am working quite a bit on the team building aspect and would like some ideas that has worked for you. I'd like to do things during practice to help them trust each other. Like I mentioned, they are really getting along good right now and I'm not having trouble but I want it to continue to grow and throw some fun challenges in the mix this week.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
IME, the quickest way to gel an All-Star team where you have girls from several, or even many different teams wasn't found on the field, but off the field after practices; even at that age level. We had only two weeks to practice between season's end and the first tournament. We would have practice 4 days during the week and after each practice, I would take the team for sno-cones, ice cream, a cook out on the grill in the back yard etc. By them talking to each other, finding each other's common interests and goofing off together, they found trusting each other on the field much quicker than they would during a regular season.

I still have girls I haven't seen in years come up to me and tell me that they will always remember those tournaments, how much fun they had and how tight the girls were as a team.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
I wouldn't choose any of pitchers as a starter until you are a few tournaments into the season. Give them equal time for your first tournament at least and you may get a better idea.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I wouldn't choose any of pitchers as a starter until you are a few tournaments into the season. Give them equal time for your first tournament at least and you may get a better idea.

Agreed.

My DD's 10U all-star team had 4 pitchers. None of them established themselves as significantly superior or more consistent, and each had at least 2 starts. Unfortunately, only 1 had a complete game, and we had a a few too many times where the starting pitcher didn't last all the way through the first inning.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
First off congrats, you are going to have a fun summer. LL All-Stars is much more about managing relationships, personalities and egos than it is about coaching. It is not like you have a bunch of time to break down swings, work on skills, etc. Getting them to gel and play as a team is paramount. Sleep overs and pool parties are great tools. Invite the parents for a cookout to complete picture. When the girls see the parents all coming together to support them as a team it makes a big difference. If you focus on taking the talent you have an making it a team you will should be successful.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
This is LL All Stars- your first tournament could be your last.
It's two and 'Que!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44