Leave early?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Recorded DD pitching last night. Tonight we were watching the video, and DD asked why I didn't point out to Blue the runner on first was leaving early on her lead off. I told her was was too busy watching her pitch...:)

leave_early.png

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
WOW. That is a big one. I might give that picture to the UIC and just suggest they keep an eye on it.

Jun 18, 2010
You cannot see in the picture if there is a BU. If there is only the PU, this is something you need to live with.

There was a Base Umpire, but he was obviously focused on something else. I didn't even notice the BR leave early since I was watching DD, but what was so funny is when we were watching the video together, that is the first thing DD saw.

Jul 28, 2008
There was a Base Umpire, but he was obviously focused on something else. I didn't even notice the BR leave early since I was watching DD, but what was so funny is when we were watching the video together, that is the first thing DD saw.

BU was probably watching your daughter, too. Although looking to ensure a legal delivery. It's hard for a 2-man crew to watch everything. A good base coach and runner will notice what they're watching and take advantage of it. With a 3-man crew, it gets a bit more difficult to "exploit" it. The crew will communicate as to who has the runners and who's watching the pitcher. This is why you see more IP's in the WCWS than you do during the regular season. There is always a pair of eyes on the pitcher during this time.

Nov 1, 2009
If you watch the WS back and look at the runners they always leave a step and a half early. This is simply not something that is called as often as it should be. It is like illegal pitches, if a pitcher throws one, they probably throw one every pitch but the umpires simply aren't going to call them that often.

Mar 13, 2010
It's kind of normal in sports to push as far as you can. I was the filthiest netball player because while I would get called for contact 50% of the time(which meant you had to stand next to the player you contacted until the ball was thrown or shot) it really paid off the other 50% of the time I wasn't called.

I played a tournament where every pitch that was illegal got called and every runner who left early was called. It wasn't as bad for the runners, as they were able to adjust a lot easier than the pitchers. Pitchers who were 16/17 years old who had NEVER been called were being ip'd out of the game. Until each team would get to their 3rd or 4th pitcher for the game. It lasted one game until all the coaches got together and demanded it stop, otherwise they were taking their teams and going home. We weren't playing softball, we were being played by the umpires.

Where this needs to be heavily policed is at the younger years. Don't make it punishable (so no balls are given, no bases are awarded, it's used as a learning experience for the girls) because all that will result in is crying little girls. But if you don't call them when they're starting out, and allow them to continue pitching illegally, it's extreemly unfair to expect them to change their motions after pitching that way for six/eight/ten years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG