leaping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
A particular 10 yo girl I have been helping is a leaper. Someone suggested placing a piece of paper under her pivot foot and drag it along with her. That worked until I took away the paper. I had her concentrate solely on dragging her foot but that messed up everything else, she normally has pretty good mechanics for her age. The next week while still trying to figure a fix for the leaping problem I started her working on her stride length. We would increase it by a few inches every 5 pitches, within a few minutes she had an extra 12 inches in her stride. As she was really pushing for the extra stride length I noticed her pivot foot was dragging nicely behind her, she wasn't leaping at all. The longer stride seemed to keep her lower to the ground. I never said a word to her just congradulated her on the longer stride. If anyone has a leaper, without telling them please try this and let me know if it works.

Thanks,
Mike

Aug 2, 2008
I don't follow, why dump the rule?

My 11 yo is a much better pitcher than me, but I tried leaping without dragging and I found it harder to keep good machanics. Does the mens game have a leaping rule?

Thanks,
Mike

May 7, 2008
DFW
Mike,

A word of caution. You can get the pitcher too leap out too far and when she lands she will be off balance. Have her take 6 steps heal to toe from the center of the pitchers plate. Then put a line across the dirt. This will put her in the general direction of how far she should leap out. It works well for all of my students. She should be able to keep the drag toe in contact with the ground at that distance. Have her leap out more than up at this point until she feels comfortable with the distance.

Also, if you have watched video of men pitching at the international level they literally leap long distances then release the ball. Rules are a bit different than the girls game.

Dana

Aug 2, 2008
Mark, Im not trying to start anything, I really am just curious.

I will try that Dana, thanks. I don't think she is overstriding now but I do think she was understriding quite a bit. I thought it was interesting that when she pushed harder in a straight line toward the catcher instead of up she no longer leaped without even knowing it.

Mike

Mar 3, 2010
IMO,

Crow hoping I can understand why it is not allowed. A pitcher gets a clear advantage by being closer when she pushes off.... I am not sure why leaping is considered illegal. Can a girl really stride out that much farther and gain an advantage when she leaps? My Daughter got in the habit of leaping when we spent too much time pitching on the concrete driveway... it was wearing a hole in her show so quickly she picked up the habit of not dragging to save her shoes... It certianly didnt help her gain an advantage... without the back toe on the ground she was not very balanced and had a hard time being consistent... I think the leaping is more of a disadvantage....

G

May 17, 2009
leaper got call on illegal pitch

my problem much like mikes. she pushes hard off rubber, foot goes parallel to rubber without toe on the ground. have tried paper or towel trick. works in practice. once on rubber back to bad habit. got called for first time in game today for illegal pitch. her speed goes down when she concentrates on foot drag along with release point. any other suggestions.

Aug 2, 2008
durwood,
I have started just having them isolate that part of the motion as a drill, Leaping and concentrating solely on dragging the pivot foot toe. Hopefully it will create some new muscle memory.

Dana,
I had some of them step off the 6 heal to toe steps and that seems about right.

Mike

May 12, 2008
Mark, Im not trying to start anything, I really am just curious.

I will try that Dana, thanks. I don't think she is overstriding now but I do think she was understriding quite a bit. I thought it was interesting that when she pushed harder in a straight line toward the catcher instead of up she no longer leaped without even knowing it.

Mike

Sorry to be so long answering. We all know the leaping rule is one more thing to ask the ump to watch and the source of arguments between coaches, umps and others. So what does it accomplish that's good? Seems to me nothing. As noted, when more distance was the goal, the leap went away. Point being, force directed up doesn't help you throw a ball forward. The leaping rule pointlessly distracts from what should be the focus. Replanting and pushing off again after a leap or slide IS a big deal. Leaping higher rather than forward hurts efficiency so why worry about it?

If you have more questions for me, email me at mark_h45@hotmail.com as I'm taking a break. Maybe a long break. After 10 plus years of trying to guide new parents to what I've learned over the years it's time to focus elsewhere. Best of luck to all of you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA