Leap Drap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2013
Can anyone point me to some good side video showing how a pitcher's toe is dragging off the pitching plate before the pitcher plants her stride foot? My 10 year old has a good leap, but her push off foot lags behind. She is still touching the pitching plate when she plants her stride foot. Hope that makes sense!

I can only think that she is pushing off with her stride leg instead of pushing off the plate with her other leg. If she were pushing off the plate with the correct leg, it would be impossible for it to be still on the plate.

May 13, 2013
I'm not following Softballs. She is pushing off with her right foot and striding with her left (she is right handed). When her left foot plants her right foot is still touching the plate. She plants and then drags versus dragging during her downswing?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Liked the .gif in "who's right"... I like the straight line left...in the (sand?) not a serpent track. I told my DD... ALL three tongues to the target...no serpent trails, or swimming angels left in the air... :cool:

I'm not following Softballs. She is pushing off with her right foot and striding with her left (she is right handed). When her left foot plants her right foot is still touching the plate. She plants and then drags versus dragging during her downswing?

She isn't pushing "off" if her foot is still on the plate when her stride foot touches down.

Like someone said earlier, she is stepping.

Jun 24, 2013
Softballs (and starsnuffer) is right, she is a step pitcher, not a leap/ drag.

At 10U DD put marks on the field were about her front foot should land, the back foot needs to follow if she is leaping.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
This isn't something that can be diagnosed without knowing the root cause. Like, can she do the splits? Does she stay completely sideways at release? Is her arm circle to early compared to the timing of the leg drive causing her to get her foot down early? Is there any "Core Torque" bringing the pivot foot forward?

In other words........"Jump farther forward from the rubber " can be as bad a cue as anything else to the overall sequence if the root cause is elsewhere.........Especially for a 10yo.........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd