Late interest in playing college ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I've got a player who is a darned good third-baseman. She also puts the bat on the ball consistently. She'll be a senior this next spring. She's not yet promoted herself for college ball, but now wants to. I say it's never too late. I'm also a realist--I think her only hope might be division III college ball. How does one go about helping this girl in her desire at his late point in her softball?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've got a player who is a darned good third-baseman. She also puts the bat on the ball consistently. She'll be a senior this next spring. She's not yet promoted herself for college ball, but now wants to. I say it's never too late. I'm also a realist--I think her only hope might be division III college ball. How does one go about helping this girl in her desire at his late point in her softball?

Never too late for D3! As a rising senior she should be in the process of developing a list of schools based on her academic interests, abilities and goals. Learn about the SB program and contact the coaches at those schools to inform them of her interest. If SB is really important, add some schools to her list where she could play and be happy education wise. Worst case is she is known to the coach before trying out as a walk on. Best case, a coach responds to her inquiry, sees her play, likes what she sees, and supports her in the admissions process. More good info and advice in the D3 sticky thread.

Jun 22, 2008
Dont forget about Juco ball. Plenty of opportunities on good Juco teams to hone their college level play not to mention the Juco coaches have connections at the 4 year colleges. My daughter played 2 years with full scholarship on a good junior college team and then went on to play another 2 years on a D1 team on nearly a full ride. 4 year college coaches are watching the Juco players as much as they are watching the high school age players.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I am still new to the 18U thing but am hearing that a lot of D3 schools don't offer a spot until senior year when the player can demonstrate they will pass academic muster. I heard some Ivy coaches saying they don't offer anything until Admissions says you meet the academic requirements which is usually after the first semester grades of 12th grade are in. Still time but time to get in gear.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
JUCOS's still have lots of money for 2015's and some even need some 2014's. I have some players getting multiple offers, most of which include tuition, housing, and meals. Hard to beat JUCO if your goal is to play for a big D1 and do not want to spend 2 years sitting around waiting for your turn to play.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44