kudos to all those bucket moms/dads out there

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm 63 and will be 64 in another month, also a stroke victim so I now wear a helmet and shin guards and when DD turns loose it is difficult for me and a little scary. I would not give that up for anything, it has been something DD and I shared since she was about 6 and she is 20 now.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have 2 gloves - old faithful, which is great until they reach 45 mph. And then, a newer Boombah. Last night, I got them mixed up and wondered why the 12 yo was burning my hand. Geez.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have learned the hard way to just pick up my feet and let the ball hit the bucket when my DD buries a drop ball 4' in front of the plate. If I was in a catchers squat the number of times I would get hit by pitches would go up exponentially.

Something I may need to consider.... I have tried the bucket a few times but have found that my ability to adjust to the pitch is greatly reduced. Therefore I am still using the catcher's stance. That said, I seriously doubt NECC will use me as the poster boy for a correct stance. As DD increases her spin rates, I do find that drops and riseballs are the most difficult for me. As her drop improves, I seem to get more and more pain in my thumb. I am sure that is because of how I am catching it. But I found a little device at the local sports store that provides some extra cushioning inside the glove. That seems to help a lot. I also find that the riseballs sometimes tip off the top of my web and then over my head. Time to buy a facemask for that.

In any event, I cannot imagine not catching for her. Catching for her and working with her in the cage are experiences I never want to give up. She is attending a college clinic tomorrow and has asked the catcher from her travel team to catch for her. While I think that was a great choice for many reasons, deep inside I wish I was the one doing the catching...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In any event, I cannot imagine not catching for her. Catching for her and working with her in the cage are experiences I never want to give up. She is attending a college clinic tomorrow and has asked the catcher from her travel team to catch for her. While I think that was a great choice for many reasons, deep inside I wish I was the one doing the catching...

I understand the desire to catch for your DD at clinics and camps, but for my DD it was better for both of us if someone else caught her. I have a tendency to "coach" when catching, and at the very least I make faces when my DD misses her spot. I can't help myself....and the last thing I need was my DD getting frustrated because I was making faces when her riseballs did not "rise"....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Through the years I have found myself setting my bucket up further and further behind home plate.....split seconds count when a riseball is coming right at your head!

Dec 27, 2014
I use a 10" tall Tidy Cat bucket. Lets me set up a lower target for my 10 year old and being lower is easier to protect my shins. Typical bucket is 15" tall and when I use at a camp, or location where it is not appropriate to "bring your own" :) , is harder to get to the lower pitches. To not embarrass DD an old library bag fits perfectly over the rectangular bucket and nobody knows...

Feb 7, 2013
The other thing I never used was a bucket. I had a couple of heavy duty kneeling pads that I used. My thoughts were; I've NEVER seen a catcher on a bucket in a game. Why should she practice like that?

Because if you are a guy and not wearing a cup, the bucket can help block a one hop ball. I use a Home Depot bucket that is lower to the ground than a ball bucket and the lid also sits down a little lower than the edge of the lid so it affords some additional protection. Don't kid yourself, a mid-50's or higher pitch can do some real damage and no catcher is going to stop every, single pitch thrown. I'm all about gearing up now and my DD doesn't have to be afraid to throw the ball hard and to low locations, especially on her drop ball.

Also, sitting on a bucket isn't going to adversely effect a pitcher's locations who is also throwing to her regular team catcher during weekly team practices, scrimmages, friendlies, tournaments, etc. This is really a non-issue in my opinion.

Jun 12, 2015
Our bucket is an old laundry detergent bucket. I don't even know where we got it - we've had it since before softball was even a thing in our house. It's taller than Tidy Cat but shorter than a regular softball bucket.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13