JV softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Does seems strange if there are 30+ travel ball players on the team(s) (JV and varsity). Then either the travel teams are not going to have enough players or the school won't they can't all be both places at once. Unless all the others are playing "B" level local ball that does not play during HS season?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
In IL this rule changed a couple years ago but I do not know how a player would have the time to play HS and TB at the same time.

She is at a tough age where some of her teammates are probably still in MS so they can play in tourneys, some in HS that will not. Do you shut down all the 13YOs for the 14YOs playing HS?

The spring travel tournaments are all local, and the travel team will practice maybe once/month. Her teammates on the travel team are all high school players (freshmen or sophomores).

In our State you can't play travel ball during the high school season. Playing or even practicing with any team other than the high school team is prohibited.

Not a rule in our state. Last year, my daughter did both, but it was middle school ball, and it was not a showcase team that had such a demanding summer and fall schedule.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Does seems strange if there are 30+ travel ball players on the team(s) (JV and varsity). Then either the travel teams are not going to have enough players or the school won't they can't all be both places at once. Unless all the others are playing "B" level local ball that does not play during HS season?

The travel-ball schedule is light for most teams in the spring. In fact, many if not most travel teams don't play at all in the spring while HS ball is going on. Travel tournaments are on the weekends. High school games are during the week. If there is overlap, high school obviously comes first.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
IDK, I would not try out and put it behind her.

If asked just say that she is working towards making her new Team next year.

She might very well do that.

Her new school will be 9th/10th graders initially, and they will play varsity right away. If they don't have a legit pitcher, then my daughter is faced with another problem. It won't be much fun playing varsity w/ a rec-ball pitcher and 3 rec-ball outfielders in a really strong conference. So there is the possibility that she will never have a good high school option, which she would regret. The school change is the underrated monkey wrench in all this. If she were going to be at her current school for 4 years, she would gladly play JV and pay her dues.

And if she could make varsity this year, she'd gladly do that. She had comparable travel teammates who as freshmen were very good varsity players on weaker teams last year. So she projects to be a solid high school player right away. But if she can't separate herself in tryouts, then a similar-looking sophomore who played JV last year is going to get the nod. Which is fine. I'm not about being critical of that process. It's DD's job to demonstrate what she can do at tryouts. If she doesn't make it, there will be no sour grapes. It just creates a dilemma for her.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
In IL this rule changed a couple years ago but I do not know how a player would have the time to play HS and TB at the same time.

She is at a tough age where some of her teammates are probably still in MS so they can play in tourneys, some in HS that will not. Do you shut down all the 13YOs for the 14YOs playing HS?

High school here is defined as 9th-12th grade. So if a 9th grader plays HS ball (even on the freshman team) they cannot practice or play with their travel ball team until the HS season is over. 1st offense is a 2 game suspension, 2nd offense the player is ineligible for the rest of the season.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
14U TB Team usually has a mix of MS and HS players, I think CoogansBluff understood what I meant and posted that my assumption was wrong. I feel like I sidetracked this thread, sorry. Last off topic post from me.

Feb 12, 2014
My DD had an excellent experience playing on JV last year as an eighth grader. I would recommend anyone moving up plays a minimum of one season at the JV level before making the leap to varsity.

Around here JV & Varsity play approximately the same amount of games & practice as much.

Just my two cents

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
That young lady made a long-lasting impact on our program. I hope your daughter does as well. It sounds like she has the right attitude to do so.

My DD played JV as freshman and sophomore under similar circumstances as yours.
As a top pitcher she carried the JV team and we won a lot of games. She had a great time, developed leadership skills and she did learn something from the experience.

The missing piece of the puzzle: the opportunity for your DD to learn incredibly valuable life lessons playing JV. This, to me, is far more important than skill improvement or being "challenged" on the field. JMO and all that! Your DD sounds pretty squared away, I'm sure she'll make a solid decision.

GO BUCKS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom