Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
I thought you said it didn’t matter whether leaping affected performance because “rules are rules.” Now you are saying that’s the justification for calling her out? A lot of folks have come on here and said that leaping doesn’t affect performance. You have no evidence to the contrary. As a result, you pivoted your argument to “rules are rules.” But that doesn’t work either because then we would have a 500 page thread about some less skilled pitcher violating the rules. We don’t. We have this thread because Bahl is really good, not because she breaks the rules.

You are knocking someone because of their skill and not because of the rules and you are using the rules to justify your criticism. That sort of fallacy is common but I don’t think it’s fair in this case (or any case really).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!!

How about the umpires enforce the rule, make her pitch legally for a few games, and then you’ll have your answer.

Jul 31, 2015
The strike zone in baseball.
Traveling in basketball.
Holding in football.
Phantom base touching (double play) in baseball/softball.

There’s a difference between human error/bias and deliberate non-enforcement. Nevertheless, the electronic strike zone is coming.

Pls see the previous post about traveling and holding.

Phantom base touching is done as a courtesy, for safety.

@pattar brought up a good point, about the 12 second pitching rule.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I can remember watching Michelle at the 1993 US Olympic Festival in San Antonio. The festivals were really cool, all the Olympic sports (and some non Olympic like men's fastpitch) were on display. That was my first selection to the US National team for the Pan Am tournament (in Mexico 1993). I had one of the best games of my entire career that tournament, a 2-1 victory in 9 innings vs. the reigning Nat'l Champs. 1993 the Olympic Festival was the top 4 teams from the previous year's ASA National tournament. In 1994 they changed the Festival completely and made it by invite only. The top 60 players in the country were put onto 4 different teams for a mini tournament. (Ok, I'm going to brag now: '94 my team won the Gold. Mike White and I were on the same team, it was the first year he had USA citizenship).

Anyway, Michelle had the best riseball I'd seen from a women's pitcher. And she threw with the wrong arm too! Rad, did you play with Michelle? Against her?
Yes I had the opportunity to both play against her and see what it was like to be in the Box against her. And I had the opportunity to catch for her in women's division.

Can remember the crowds that would show up to watch her and the people with speed guns timing her pitches 70, 71, 72 the giant speed gun that was the size of a shoe box setup on a tripod.

Can recall throwing a pitch back to Michelle while she was doing a demonstration and I turned and looked at the crowd and said would anybody like to get behind me like an Umpire to see the pitch coming in?
...And nobody wanted to 🙂

People just kept commenting
'Pitch gets there fast!'

For such a talented successful athlete was certainly the spazziest pitcher to catch for.
Never knew where it was going...
Kinda...but not really 🤭🤫

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Phantom base touching is done as a courtesy, for safety.
Wowzah... 😁
after all your comments about applying the rules and yet you're okay with not even touching the base on a defensive play
Got it!
Pick and choose rules and circumstance what where when and why.

Lol what if the pitcher is creating a little air because they need to stay away from the hole in front of the rubber for their safety...
Can o worms...

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Okay, this is as scientific as I can get. I am sure some will laugh, some will mock, but at least I gave it a try. This is the great leap versus drag experiment done by a 50 year-old male, who is still in good shape thanks to Tony Horton and Shawn T.

My experiment involved me doing 10 of each so I could get a decent average of both. I measured the distance from pitching rubber to my toes furthest landing point. For point of reference, I'm 6'3" and 215 lbs. I did this on a plush carpet so I could see if I dragged on every attempt and to have a softer landing in the event I fell over like an idiot, which thankfully I did not.

Leaping produced a maximum distance of 81.25 inches and an average of 80.75 inches.

Dragging produced a maximum distance of 70 inches and an average of 69.5 inches.

Oddly enough, when I tried it in sneakers instead of bare feet, my dragging distance was shorter than with no shoes. This might've been because I applied more pressure to the drag since it was harder to feel the floor with shoes on.

My conclusion is that I am not an elite college athlete, but that the results do tell a tale. I would love to put my daughter through these tests, but don't want her to screw up her mechanics.

I hope you all got a good laugh picturing me performing this little experiment. Thankfully, the blinds were closed, so no neighbors were watching and thinking I am nuts.
That was fun to read!
Nice experiment 🙂

Until there are some pressure sensitive equipment being used we will not be able to tell the difference between drag toe slowing someone down and a toe touch that's just swiping?!

Will say with certainty that if folks go look on the dirt in front of the pitching rubber of two completely different mechanics of pitcher
(who are the same height) can see where their feet land differently.
Definitely one can land and be farther away than the other.
Plus release points can be measured and they're not always consistent to other pitchers and can be different by a couple feet closer.

*Being a catcher is not just watching the ball over and over...
Catchers also watch and examine what the pitchers mechanics look like because within those nuances can affect the ball flying out of their hand.
And communication from the catcher can help a pitcher Tune-in better.
*no pitcher is the same as another.
Maybe similar but not the same.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015
Wowzah...
after all your comments about applying the rules and yet you're okay with not even touching the base on a defensive play
Got it!

Lol what if the pitcher is creating a little air because they need to stay away from the hole in front of the rubber for their safety...
Can o worms...

Same issue for traveling in basketball and holding in football. Those rules are not enforced 99% of the time or anything close. They are enforced when the violation is obvious or egregious—same as the leaping rule here.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Same issue for traveling in basketball and holding in football. Those rules are not enforced 99% of the time or anything close. They are enforced when the violation is obvious or egregious—same as the leaping rule here.

Not really a basketball fan...
However can imagine a bunch of parents sitting in the stands screaming

Call it! That was traveling! What's the deal referee that's traveling! Come on can't you see what traveling is!
Wow that was traveling.
You blew this entire game because you didn't call traveling. We lost because you didn't call traveling.
Conclusion Its your fault we lost.

Jul 31, 2015
Because no one cares and it doesn't matter. Go look at pitching speeds for players from other countries.

What do other countries and pitchers from those countries have to do with the abilities of a pitcher from OU?

While leaping is allowed internationally, the only way to find out how much of an advantage leaping is for Jordy Bahl, or not, is to compare her with herself - leaping vs non-leaping versions.

This thread is about JBs continued illegality and lack of enforcement, not the advantage/disadvantage leaping gives her. I know that nuance is difficult for many people to get their mind around. So much easier to split into warring camps (yay Jordy!) (boo Jordy!) than to have a reasoned discussion.

Wowzah... 😁
Got it!

Can o worms...

So safety shouldn’t be a concern nor a priority? And if everyone agrees to prioritize safety, that’s a bad thing?

This comment feels like an excuse, a pile on, against views you don’t agree with. Using a very weak argument.

Disappointing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06