Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Okay, this is as scientific as I can get. I am sure some will laugh, some will mock, but at least I gave it a try. This is the great leap versus drag experiment done by a 50 year-old male, who is still in good shape thanks to Tony Horton and Shawn T.

My experiment involved me doing 10 of each so I could get a decent average of both. I measured the distance from pitching rubber to my toes furthest landing point. For point of reference, I'm 6'3" and 215 lbs. I did this on a plush carpet so I could see if I dragged on every attempt and to have a softer landing in the event I fell over like an idiot, which thankfully I did not.

Leaping produced a maximum distance of 81.25 inches and an average of 80.75 inches.

Dragging produced a maximum distance of 70 inches and an average of 69.5 inches.

Oddly enough, when I tried it in sneakers instead of bare feet, my dragging distance was shorter than with no shoes. This might've been because I applied more pressure to the drag since it was harder to feel the floor with shoes on.

My conclusion is that I am not an elite college athlete, but that the results do tell a tale. I would love to put my daughter through these tests, but don't want her to screw up her mechanics.

I hope you all got a good laugh picturing me performing this little experiment. Thankfully, the blinds were closed, so no neighbors were watching and thinking I am nuts.

Jun 8, 2016
Okay, this is as scientific as I can get. I am sure some will laugh, some will mock, but at least I gave it a try. This is the great leap versus drag experiment done by a 50 year-old male, who still in good shape thanks to Tony Horton and Shawn T.

My experiment involved me doing 10 of each so I could get a decent average of both. I measured the distance from pitching rubber to my toes furthest landing point. For point of reference, I'm 6'3" and 215 lbs. I did this on a plush carpet so I could see if I dragged on every attempt and to have a softer landing in the event I fell over like an idiot, which thankfully I did not.

Leaping produced a maximum distance of 81.25 inches and an average of 80.75 inches.

Dragging produced a maximum distance of 70 inches and an average of 69.5 inches.

Oddly enough, when I tried it in sneakers instead of bare feet, my dragging distance was shorter than with no shoes. This might've been because I applied more pressure to the drag since it was harder to feel the floor with shoes on.

My conclusion is that I am not an elite college athlete, but that the results do tell a tale. I would love to put my daughter through these tests, but don't want her to screw up her mechanics.

I hope you all got a good laugh picturing me performing this little experiment. Thankfully, the blinds were closed, so no neighbors were watching and thinking I am nuts.
Not sure this would pass through peer review but I applaud the effort..;)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Not sure this would pass through peer review but I applaud the effort..;)
A bunch of us Dopey Dads should all film ourselves running this experiment and post the videos here. We could see how silly we look and prove how athletic these girls are at the same time.

One further edit I felt to add was I tried it several times using the two feet in contact with the rubber method. I was a good 7-8 inches shorter using drag and leap. I would say that addition to the pitcher's arsenal has been one of the biggest changes in years.

Jun 8, 2016
A bunch of us Dopey Dads should all film ourselves running this experiment and post the videos here. We could see how silly we look and prove how athletic these girls are at the same time.
I played one on one with my 12 YO DD the other day and my back still hurts..I think I will sit this one out..

Jul 31, 2015
Traveling in basketball and holding in football are two that come to mind. Also in baseball when the bases are unoccupied the pitcher is supposed to throw the ball within 12 seconds of receiving the ball or else a ball is called..you ever see that one enforced? :ROFLMAO:

What basketball player travels 99% of the time and isn’t called for it? Who holds on 99% of the plays and isn’t called for it? Are these players celebrated for their achievements? Have their coaches ignored or encouraged them to repeatedly violate these rules, for years?

You’re right - the 12 second pitch rule is almost never called and almost always violated. Good one.

Maybe someone should remind Manfred of that.
⚾😴

Jul 31, 2015
Okay, this is as scientific as I can get. I am sure some will laugh, some will mock, but at least I gave it a try. This is the great leap versus drag experiment done by a 50 year-old male, who is still in good shape thanks to Tony Horton and Shawn T.

Outstanding!! Thank you.

Jun 8, 2016
What basketball player travels 99% of the time and isn’t called for it? Who holds on 99% of the plays and isn’t called for it? Are these players celebrated for their achievements? Have their coaches ignored or encouraged them to repeatedly violate these rules, for years?
You said repeatedly, you didn't give the 99% threshhold. Those two violations happen a lot and are not called.

I already stated where I stand on this..if it is a rule then call it. If you are not willing to, or unable to then get rid of it or change it so it can be called consistently. The only thing I am disagreeing with is that Bahl is so good because she leaps...I don't agree with that. The leap might add a few mph to her effective velocity (eg reaction time for the batter). I don't think that is going to raise her ERA by 2 points. She (and her "team") cannot be the only ones "without a moral compass" out there hence you would think if leaping alone were so much of an advantage there would be many more dominant pitchers leaping..🤷‍♂️ What you don't have out there is a kid who is a good enough athlete that Gasso gave serious thought to letting her hit for herself in that lineup..

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015
@jfitch12Also, the ultimate cognitive error, whether realized or not, is conflating cause with effect: Is Bahl really good which causes her to pitch illegally, or is she pitching illegally which causes her to be really good?.

I thought you said it didn’t matter whether leaping affected performance because “rules are rules.” Now you are saying that’s the justification for calling her out? A lot of folks have come on here and said that leaping doesn’t affect performance. You have no evidence to the contrary. As a result, you pivoted your argument to “rules are rules.” But that doesn’t work either because then we would have a 500 page thread about some less skilled pitcher violating the rules. We don’t. We have this thread because Bahl is really good, not because she breaks the rules.

You are knocking someone because of their skill and not because of the rules and you are using the rules to justify your criticism. That sort of fallacy is common but I don’t think it’s fair in this case (or any case really).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2015
You said repeatedly, you didn't give the 99% threshhold. Those two violations happen a lot and are not called.

I already stated where I stand on this..if it is a rule then call it. If you are not willing to, or unable to then get rid of it or change it so it can be called consistently. The only thing I am disagreeing with is that Bahl is so good because she leaps...I don't agree with that. The leap might add a few mph to her effective velocity (eg reaction time for the batter). I don't think that is going to raise her ERA by 2 points. She (and her "team") cannot be the only ones "without a moral compass" out there hence you would think if leaping alone were so much of an advantage there would be many more dominant pitchers leaping..🤷‍♂️ What you don't have out there is a kid who is a good enough athlete that Gasso gave serious thought to letting her hit for herself in that lineup..

Yeah I have no idea if Bahl leaps exactly 99% or exactly 98% of the time or whatever; I haven’t watched every video of her and kept score. The point is she leaps a lot (appears to be 100% based on what I have seen), no other pitcher consistently leaps like that, it’s illegal, and the umps almost never call it.

Now if she was forced to pitch legally for a length of time, we would know how much of an advantage it confers, or not.

And yes, many high level pitchers do very well without leaping. Which is great.

OU coaches know Jordy is not pitching legally.

May 17, 2012
PS - Can anyone name a baseball rule which is repeatedly violated and, when violations happens, the officials just let it go? How about football? Basketball? Soccer? Hockey? Lacrosse? Track and field? Anyone?

The strike zone in baseball.
Traveling in basketball.
Holding in football.
Phantom base touching (double play) in baseball/softball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06