Jordyn Bahl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
So is that you saying the arm circle velocity is severely compromised by having to drag? The pitch velocity has two components, linear velocity of the body and linear velocity due to the arm rotation, add them together and you get the pitch velocity out of the hand.
Do you front toss at a closer distance?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Pitcher Debi Doom, who I've talked about several times on dfp,
Her normal pitching gate would land and erase the front line of the pitching Circle. From 40 feet, no leaping, no jumping just Mega stride from a really tall woman.

Batting agsinst her 6'2" or so,,, took some timing adjustment for sure. as she would start off really low with her arm, then raised way above her head (that was like nine feet in the air) and then come way down below her knee and release it. Visual obstacle while a giant shoe/cleat coming at you and her cleat landing on the pitching Circle and then the ball would shoot out.
Her hand seemed to have extra long fingers that the ball would just squeeze out of.
Very difficult to read because there was a lot of Limbs going on . It took a bit to figure that out....atleast multiple at bats and a case of luck!

If you didn't get to face her all season except for a few games over a weekend that could be very difficult. Or just have to finally play against her in Regionals or even the College World Series.
Difficult adjustments!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2015
You're right. We need a study. You can't go off of a 1 person study. Why do you front toss from a closer distance?

You are assuming that leaping allows pitchers to get meaningfully closer. It doesn’t. It may make a difference of a few inches, not feet and certainly not enough to materially alter reaction time. The fact that Bahl can get past the 8 foot line at her height is because she is an amazing athlete with remarkable drive. To me that’s what is interesting about her and worth studying. Not the fact that she violates a rule that a very large number of other less successful pitchers also violate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
That's a bold statement Cotton. Bill Hillhouse are you in agreement?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I don't understand what he meant. I find it hard to believe he means others are just unathletic, and Jordy is just beyond anyone else. I think there must be something I'm not understanding.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The fact that Bahl can get past the 8 foot line at her height is because she is an amazing athlete with remarkable drive.
Yes! That is what can cause a timing adjustment for batters that are not accustomed to that explosive extra physical ability.

To me that’s what is interesting about her and worth studying.
Yes!!!

Not the fact that she violates a rule that a very large number of other less successful pitchers also violate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who don't demonstrate the same level of skills as she does

Aug 21, 2008
how could spud webb dunk at 5’7”? Fouts must also be able to dunk at 6’2”?

power and athleticism, not height, produce stride.
I'm 6'3, I cannot dunk. Nor could I when I was young. I have a black belt in karate and used to be a lot more flexible and agile. I could also palm a basketball with my hand size but couldn't get up that high. I'd bet quite a bit of money (if I had any money) that Fouts can't dunk. :)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Had a dorm roommate in college who was 6'11"and palmed my skull one time...

Aug 21, 2008
Pitcher Debi Doom, who I've talked about several times on dfp,
Her normal pitching gate would land and erase the front line of the pitching Circle. From 40 feet, no leaping, no jumping just Mega stride from a really tall woman.

Batting agsinst her 6'2" or so,,, took some timing adjustment for sure. as she would start off really low with her arm, then raised way above her head (that was like nine feet in the air) and then come way down below her knee and release it. Visual obstacle while a giant shoe/cleat coming at you and her cleat landing on the pitching Circle and then the ball would shoot out.
Her hand seemed to have extra long fingers that the ball would just squeeze out of.
Very difficult to read because there was a lot of Limbs going on . It took a bit to figure that out....atleast multiple at bats and a case of luck!

If you didn't get to face her all season except for a few games over a weekend that could be very difficult. Or just have to finally play against her in Regionals or even the College World Series.
Difficult adjustments!
WOW... Debbie Doom, Rad? That's a name from the past. (GREAT name for a pitcher by the way). The assistant coach at Providence (still there coaching) is named Bree Nasti, I always thought that was a cool pitcher name too. Anyway, I never got to see Debbie but the legend lives on and I heard about her long ago. In fact, it speaks volumes that her name made it all the way to Pennsylvania where I grew up when there was no internet. That's how good she was.

Aug 21, 2008
Absolutely. It’s just like Coach K at Duke or Bill Belichick constantly riding the refs on the sideline to set up a later call. I’ve never seen an IP called unless the other side is constantly yelling for it. One reason I hate the call. Just disrupts the game for minimal benefit.
I am not smart enough to do the multiple quote for a reply. So sorry about that.

You asked about her pitching to teammates, Obviously I'm not there so I can't speak to it. All I can tell you from experience is, it's very hard to do. Doing live pitching to teammates is a hitter's advantage, they know the pitcher's tendencies, etc. They also know the pitcher is 99% sure not to hit them so it's not exactly the epic battle that you may think. I'm not suggesting that either doesn't try or anything. I'm just saying the intensity level is hard to achieve when it's your own team. Maybe it shouldn't be but it is.

Regarding umps and IP's. You might be surprised. Umpires get WCWS gig's based off the scores they get from colleges (among other things). And they are also scored by their UIC who may or may not be at the games. If the UIC sees something blatant like illegal pitches not being called, that would be a negative check mark for the blue. So, if you see IP's called it can be the opposing coach arguing, no question about it. But they can also "over umpire" because their being evaluated by the boss.

You guys may not realize this but before EVERY game (college), all the bats are tested, then the umpires inspect AGAIN for cracks, stickers, etc. It's quite the process.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06