JMU Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Their top two spots being their best power hitters at 1st glance is unconventional but then you realize that more half of Jennings hits have been for extra base hits so it makes sense since she is in scoring position already a good portion of the time.

Yeah, I've seen more than one college and HS coach place their BEST overall hitter in the #1 spot even though there were seemingly better options for leadoff. OU might have a half-dozen who could fill that leadoff role effectively.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, I've seen more than one college and HS coach place their BEST overall hitter in the #1 spot even though there were seemingly better options for leadoff. OU might have a half-dozen who could fill that leadoff role effectively.
Yes, best hitter on DD’s team bats lead off.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
So who do you pitch around? Even if you want to pitch around all 3 of them, then you get to face other hitters like Mackenzie Donihoo who just had 3 homers in the same day. Pitching around strong hitters to get to weak hitters only works if there are weak hitters to face. Not against OU...
I agree with FP26 here, this lineup will eventually get you, period!

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I said unconventional, not unprecedented..

I wasn't disputing, just pointing it out as interesting, especially since it also came from OU. Can't recall the details from 2013, but I assume it had to do w/ limiting opportunities to intentionally walk her and giving her the most at-bats as possible.

Jun 8, 2016
I wasn't disputing, just pointing it out as interesting, especially since it also came from OU. Can't recall the details from 2013, but I assume it had to do w/ limiting opportunities to intentionally walk her and giving her the most at-bats as possible.
Think about why speed is usually put in the lead off spot and it makes perfect sense to put a kid with a ridiculously high OPS there and another one right behind especially when the bottom of the order can hit...I think analytics wouldn’t agree with this but that is using average results whereas OU is an outlier..

Oct 26, 2019
Analytics usually suggests putting your highest on base percentage hitter in the two hole, your next highest in the one hole, and then your next highest in the three hole.

This goes against the old-school idea of a two hole hitter.

Jun 8, 2016
Analytics usually suggests putting your highest on base percentage hitter in the two hole, your next highest in the one hole, and then your next highest in the three hole.

This goes against the old-school idea of a two hole hitter.
Right, that is what I thought. When I said average I meant they are dealing with the numbers for all teams so it is based upon an "average" team.

Oct 14, 2019
Amanda Lorenz batted first for the Gators. Best hitter gets the most AB’s. Plus leadoff only means anything in the first inning.