It's not what you know, it's WHO the coaches know.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
You kind of can. Just look at their alumni list.
Right and I have so based upon what I have seen here in OK my kid would have to go play TB in another state if she wanted to go to 99% of the schools on the West or East Coast..which is obviously an option but also brings in other factors which may outweigh the connection advantage. You live in TX..TB scene isn't the same most everywhere else. Most TB orgs in the country are set up to service schools in the region..

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Right and I have so based upon what I have seen here in OK my kid would have to go play TB in another state if she wanted to go to 99% of the schools on the West or East Coast..which is obviously an option but also brings in other factors which may not outweigh the connections. You live in TX..TB scene isn't the same most everywhere else.
I mean, you're kind of a big deal. You could probably pull it off yourself. As for the West Coast schools. The odds are not in your favor if you don't live there are close to. I had kids that said they wanted to go to school in Cali. I told them to look at the rosters and tell me how many kids outside of Cali do you see. I cannot remember ever seeing any Cali coaches at any showcase or tourney in 5 years. There is no need for them to travel, their pool of players are in their backyards. Yes, it's possible but rare.

Jun 8, 2016
I mean, you're kind of a big deal. You could probably pull it off yourself.
So I (sort of) disagree with you and you come back with that? Nice.

West Coast was just an example, could have easily said Pacific Northwest/South/Upper Midwest/etc/etc

I told you the situation here in OK, unless you want to go to South East Central West Christian University in OK/KS/TX you are not going to get much help in the way of connections..

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2015
People are terrible at identifying talent.
Even the MLB takes 2-3 years after the draft to determine if a player has enough tools to make it to the big leagues. And they have unlimited resources.

Because while it's easy to see who the superstars are and who doesn't belong on the field, in the vast middle ground it is hard to distinguish one player from another. And there are *a lot* of players in that hole....my DD was certainly one.

So coaches rely on their existing relationships, and what has worked in the past to help them navigate the morass. The exception are national-level teams with a history of producing top talent, like the Corona Angels.

Direct and persistent communication, and $$$ attendance at their camps is the only way around the relationship-driven gatekeeping. Even then, no guarantee.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
People are terrible at identifying talent.
Even the MLB takes 2-3 years after the draft to determine if a player has enough tools to make it to the big leagues. And they have unlimited resources.

Because while it's easy to see who the superstars are and who doesn't belong on the field, in the vast middle ground it is hard to distinguish one player from another. And there are *a lot* of players in that hole....my DD was certainly one.

So coaches rely on their existing relationships, and what has worked in the past to help them navigate the morass. The exception are national-level teams with a history of producing top talent, like the Corona Angels.

Direct and persistent communication, and $$$ attendance at their camps is the only way around the relationship-driven gatekeeping. Even then, no guarantee.

Good points here. It's very challenging to scout players and project them. My DD, frankly, was overrated. Not many Dads would say that. :)

I also believe that the cream generally rises to the top, and one shouldn't worry too much about where they wind up. It's what you do once you get there that matters. My DD played w/ several future college players, and perhaps the two best signed w/ a mid-major, starred for a year and transferred and are now top hitters in the ACC. They got overlooked, but in the end, they got their shot and cashed in. Getting the 'highest' offer isn't necessarily the best offer because you could get buried sitting the bench. Can name several D-I teammates of my DD's who gave up the game while lesser players had really nice careers in D-II and D-III.

Apr 9, 2020
our organization leader from day one has preached to the kids that the coaches don't come t the school for "you guys" they come because the athletes that wore these same uniforms before you have lived up to their end of the bargain meaning they outworked and out performed the others once on campus .. so the college coaches sees the so called traditions and level of commitment the organization has put forth.. it is up to the kids right now to help keep that relationship strong if and when you eventually end up at program at any level... so it goes both ways the organization and the previous relationships created help get your athletes foot int he door to either come see play at showcase or the proverbial heads up call or text prior to a camp she may want to attend to get some extra attention ... please name me any area in the real world where "who you know " doesn't help... at end of the day it is up to individual to keep the relationship strong for kids behind them... and from what im reading and what I have heard and also witnessed first hand that some of these kids within the first week have tarnished both their life long dream and relationships that the organizations have built over years... most families don't realize that their Childs poor choices don't only effect their child but others after them who are just as deserving as they were... best of luck to all in any future times they find ,, please cherish the relationships build before you and more importantly after you..

Jul 14, 2018
DD sent an introductory email to the college coach, who is no longer there for the first time in Sept of her Junior year.

This is a big reason personal relationships can only take you so far. If you choose a TB team because the coach has a relationship with the coach at Big U, where does that leave you when Big U changes coaches? And college softball coach is a profession with high turnover.

Also, DD played for a big org with a director who has been around the sport forever and knows everyone. Mike Candrea is one of his longtime friends. Guess how many girls from the org went on to play at Arizona? Zero. Why? Because they simply don’t recruit in the Northeast.

I’m sure there are TB coaches out there who can pick up the phone and recommend a player to a big program and be taken seriously, but they’re few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00