Is the GoPro HERO+ (wifi) a viable option for recording games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 24, 2014
The Hero4 Silver is actually still what we officially recommend (only because we have not been able to test the HERO5 in the heat of the summer....since it came out in the cool of the fall). No issues with this camera (4 Silver) other than stability when using WiFi. I recommend turning WiFi off. Other than that, great camera and has 3 different FOV's to choose from.

Use the Hero4 Silver and no issues once I got the external battery. Use wifi most of time don't recall any issues as well.

Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Saved me from making a mistake. Found a good deal on a lightly used Hero 4 Silver that comes with an extra battery.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Saved me from making a mistake. Found a good deal on a lightly used Hero 4 Silver that comes with an extra battery.

The extra battery is handy, but I would look for a USB battery to power the camera externally. The GoPro batteries are only good for about 1.5 hours brand new (and on a good day). Most likely, you will find that they are only good for around an hour or less. The external battery will allow you to record multiple games on a single charge and not have to worry about it.

I'm posting this link not to push my stuff, but rather show you what we recommend. Ignore the bracket if you already have plans on a mount. But I highly recommend the external battery and the battery eliminator cable as it is the best way to power a Hero4 with external power:
GoPro Configuration
Note: Due to a recent change in Google Chrome, and that DFP forces "HTTPS" on links, you may receive a "not secure" message. Rest assured, our site is secure as it is hosted by Adobe, on Adobe servers. However, if you would rather, Google the following (with quotes):
"gopro-configuration"
We are the top link.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The extra battery is handy, but I would look for a USB battery to power the camera externally. The GoPro batteries are only good for about 1.5 hours brand new (and on a good day). Most likely, you will find that they are only good for around an hour or less. The external battery will allow you to record multiple games on a single charge and not have to worry about it.

I'm posting this link not to push my stuff, but rather show you what we recommend. Ignore the bracket if you already have plans on a mount. But I highly recommend the external battery and the battery eliminator cable as it is the best way to power a Hero4 with external power:
GoPro Configuration
Note: Due to a recent change in Google Chrome, and that DFP forces "HTTPS" on links, you may receive a "not secure" message. Rest assured, our site is secure as it is hosted by Adobe, on Adobe servers. However, if you would rather, Google the following (with quotes):
"gopro-configuration"
We are the top link.

This!!! ^^^

I typically record 3-4 games in a day. My external battery pack (exact configuration recommended by Josh) will go for a few weekends before needing to be recharged. With the internal batteries, I needed to drop a new one in every game, and sometimes they wouldn't make it the whole game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sostrejr2002