Is she looking better??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
We had two lessons a week ago and will have two more next week. He added two additional drills to left balance and east/west issues. He really motivated her and she has been working hard this past week. Any feedback is welcomed. I apologize for the angle and quality not being the best. Also, she will be moving up to 12U this fall, well August actually. Would it be ok for her to start practicing with a 12in ball? Others have told me the transition can throw things off. Thanks!

The first video is of one of drills she does as warm up
[video=youtube_share;w2De-t5T8K4]http://youtu.be/w2De-t5T8K4[/video]

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Ok. She looks nice. I have had several new girls start this week, so I sort of know where you are at. Yes, she can move to the 12 inch ball. Start throwing it overhand, while she is getting used to pitching the 11 inch one. Remember, we didn't even have different sized balls, until recently. Then, pitch it at 36 feet and move back gradually.

Just like my new students, she is muscling up. I keep repeating myself. Relax. Drop the right shoulder on release. Lead with the elbow. Don't tighten up. A loose muscle is a quick muscle.

But, they all want to scrunch the right shoulder up around the ear and throw the elbow out.

It will come. Do not try to get speed out of her, yet. You want a smooth, relaxed whip of the right arm and then, a natural follow through.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Thanks Amy! I think we may have to start some yoga to help her relax, lol. This age is difficult, please tell me it gets better. :) I am sure she is tired of hearing me say, "breathe, relax" and be confident in who you are. What do you do to help your students stay relaxed? Is that something that comes with age and experience?

Thank you again for your feedback!

I should add that her instructor's main focus has been her balance. I'm sure he has a plan but anything I can do to help her along the way would be great. I am sure in her mind not saying anything is the most helpful, lol.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2010
Best move I made last year was having DD start using a 12" ball in practice. We started every practice with overhand throwing and then moved to the drills Boardmember posted in the IR in the Classroom thread. She was ready at the start of this season to pitch with the 12" ball. It helped that she grew over 5" since winter, which I figured some growth might happen. She still warms up with the same drills both before practice and on game day. Next up, which we've started some, is practicing at 43".

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Another phrase that I say is "The right arm is similar to dragging your hand through water, to see if it is hot." Or I tell them that "You need to relax the arm muscle, like you are getting a shot."

Nothing works, until it clicks with them. Try the underhand toss of a small football. See if that helps.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
More pink! More pink!

You can teach how to relax. It sounds screwy, but it works.

(1) Explain to her what "relax" means in a sports context. Kids often think of "relax" in terms of falling asleep or lounging on the couch. Relax in sports means to free the muscles from tension...in all sports, the focal point for relaxation is the neck muscles behind the head. If you can get those relaxed, then the shoulder and arm can relax.
(2) Have her stand in front of a mirror. Tell her to look at her shoulders. That is not a "relaxed" position for pitching.
(3) Next, hand her a 4 or 5 pound weight that she can easily hold in her right hand. A hammer, a milk jug, something like that.
(4) Tell her to tell the weight pull her arm down to the floor. Tell her not to fight the weight. Tell her let the weight pull her arm and shoulder down. Watch for her right shoulder to tilt and for her arm to straighten.
(5) Next, tell her to look in the mirror. She should see her right shoulder down, her right arm straight and her right hand lower than her left. That posture is the "relaxed" posture for pitching.
(6) Have her work on getting into the relaxed posture without a weight. Tell her to imagine that she is still holding onto the weight. Tell her to let the weight of her hand pull her arm down.
(7) Have her feel her body position and her muscles.

Other things to do is for her to practice laying down on her back on the floor. Put a small pillow under her head and have her imagine her head being pulled by gravity through the pillow and into the floor.

I know it sounds pretty strange. The mental imagery is important to learn how to relax. At some point, she won't need it. She'll be able to tell her body "relax" and it will.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Thanks Sluggers! Those a great descriptions to give a mental image.

I'll have her wear her funky socks for the next video update. ;-)

Btw, I think my variation of your signature is "Every softball parent should keep valium and vodka in their car..." LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207