Is attempt to bunt is considered 'strike'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
Hi;

My player attempt to (surprise) bunt the ball. However the ball is not pitched correctly and it end up on the dirt just before the home plate. Is the attempt is considered 'strike'?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This use to be the rule:

On a bunt attempt where the batter puts the bat across the plate, unless the batter moves the bat towards the ball, a strike would not be called if the ball is out of the strike zone.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Hi;

My player attempt to (surprise) bunt the ball. However the ball is not pitched correctly and it end up on the dirt just before the home plate. Is the attempt is considered 'strike'?

An attempt to strike the ball in any manner will always be a strike if that ball is missed. ASA requires an attempt to contact the ball even if to protect oneself.

In NCAA & NFHS, maybe others of which I am not aware, simply holding the bat in the strike zone as the ball passes is, by rule, to be called a strike regardless of the location of the ball or the lack of attempt to strike the ball.

Yes, that means if a batter places the bat in the strike zone and the pitch goes over the backstop, the umpire is to call the pitch a strike if the batter did not pull the bat back prior to the ball passing the plane of the front edge of the plate.

Nov 22, 2010
Somewhere in Malaysia
An attempt to strike the ball in any manner will always be a strike if that ball is missed. ASA requires an attempt to contact the ball even if to protect oneself.

In NCAA & NFHS, maybe others of which I am not aware, simply holding the bat in the strike zone as the ball passes is, by rule, to be called a strike regardless of the location of the ball or the lack of attempt to strike the ball.

Yes, that means if a batter places the bat in the strike zone and the pitch goes over the backstop, the umpire is to call the pitch a strike if the batter did not pull the bat back prior to the ball passing the plane of the front edge of the plate.

How about if a batter places the bat in the strike zone but the ball fall short or not passing the home plate? It drops just before the home plate and stop there.

And how about ISF ruling about this matter? My country uses ISF rule for all level of softball game.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
How about if a batter places the bat in the strike zone but the ball fall short or not passing the home plate? It drops just before the home plate and stop there.

And how about ISF ruling about this matter? My country uses ISF rule for all level of softball game.

ISF is the same as ASA. In FP, if the batter attempts to strike a live ball, it is a strike.

Sec. 4. A STRIKE IS CALLED BY THE UMPIRE.
a. (FP ONLY) When any part of a legally pitched ball enters the strike zone before touching the ground and at which the batter does not swing.
(SP ONLY) For each legally pitched ball entering the strike zone before touching the ground and at which the batter does not swing.
EXCEPTION: It is not a strike if the pitched ball touches home plate and is not swung at.
b. (FP ONLY) For each legally pitched ball struck at and missed by the batter.
(SP ONLY) For each pitched ball including an illegal pitch, struck at and missed by the batter.
NOTE: Sec. 4a & b (SP ONLY) The batter cannot legally swing at any pitched ball that hits the ground or plate. However, if the batter swings and misses the pitch prior to the ball hitting the ground or plate, it is a strike.
EFFECT - Sec. 4a & 4b:
(FP ONLY) The ball is in play and runners may advance with liability to be put out.
(SP ONLY) The ball is dead and runners may not advance.
c. For each foul tip.
EFFECT - Sec. 4c:
(FP ONLY) The ball is in play and runners may advance with liability to be put out. The batter is out if it is the third strike.
(SP ONLY) The batter is out if it is the third strike.
d. For each foul ball when the batter has less than two strikes.
e. (SP Only) For each foul ball, including the third strike.
f. For each pitched ball struck at and missed which touches any part of the batter.
g. When any part of the batter's person or clothing is hit with his own-batted ball when he is in the batter's box and he has less than two strikes.
h. When a pitched ball hits the batter while the ball is in the strike zone.
i. When the batter fails to enter the batter's box within 10 seconds after the umpire calls "PLAY BALL."
j. When an offensive team member deliberately erases the lines of the batter’s box.
Effect – Section 4a-j (SP ONLY – the ball is dead on any strike and batters must return to their bases without liability to be put out.
EFFECT - Sec. 4d-j:
The ball is dead and runners must return to their bases without liability to be put out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach