Interference Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Good read.
As we know many peculiar things can happen.
That said Umpires cannot always interpret intentional or not.

There are Players who do know what they are doing on the field. Intentional or not.
Umpires could no humanily way decifer all of that correctly all the time.

Did like the post who commented maybe throw out a flag...that would be interesting.

Intent can be tough. If I am not sure, then I am calling no intent because I can't read minds. It is why the NCAA rules committee is taking more and more grey/intent areas away. See previous discussions on hit by pitch and obstruction - the rules in college are it either is or isn't based on what happened - intent is no longer part of it. The pitch hit you or didn't - I no longer need to judge your attempt to avoid. You either have the ball or you don't in obstruction. And so on...

And as you have seen in other discussions - intent is not actually a part of many situations that many coaches/players/spectators (and some umpires) think.

If a player can decide in a split second to intentionally interfere, AND make it look like they didn't intend to do so based on what runners and fielders are doing behind her... well good for her. Seems unlikely though.

I am sure there are more realistic scenarios where I guess this could happen - but most players (and coaches) who think like this are not as clever or as sneaky as they think they are.

Jan 11, 2015
Good read.
As we know many peculiar things can happen.
That said
Umpires cannot always interpret intentional or not.

There are Players who do know what they are doing on the field. Intentional or not.
Umpires could no humanily way decifer all of that correctly all the time.

Did like the post who commented maybe throw out a flag...that would be interesting.

Right here!! I always joke about it with other umps in chapter as I also do football. Wouldn't it be cool if for obstruction instead of sticking out our arm we could throw a flag like in football and play on. When coach ask where was the obstruction, right there coach. Did you not see the big flag get thrown between 2nd and 3rd?

Save my voice too for outs. Can use my whistle Everytime there is and out call haha.

It would be an interesting change if the rules just made everything like football fouls.

Heck NCAA took the first step with leaving early on a steal. It's now a delay so double plays could happen.

Nov 9, 2019
???

Not sure what you are saying here?

In ht OP. there is no obstruction possibility. SS is making an initial fielding play on the ball and then has the ball. Both of those things ensure there can be no obstruction, only interference by the runner.

And intent is not required for interference - there is just a larger penalty possibility if it was intentional.
My bad, went back and reread OP. When stated ball hit to second was thinking second with short stop going to cover bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad