Interference Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
Dead ball was not called at all. Initially they called 2nd and 3rd safe, and batter out at 1st. Then they got together and called interference. Took the runner off 3rd, and put the batter back in 1st.

These umpires were the worst we’ve seen all year long. This wasn’t the only bad call they had made.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You cannot assume that without the interference call there would have been two outs even if the defense completed what looks like a double play. Did the runners slow down/stop when they heard "Time, that's interference" Was it said? No way of knowing from here and now.
Not an assumption.
OP stated the players got a double play in this.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Posted in the other discussion interference of runner.
Screenshot_2021-06-28-16-33-30-1.png
Apperently the umpire can assume one way or the other.
On both wether intential interference.
And assume a double play could have been made.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021
Runner on 1st and 2nd. Ball hit to second. Interference called on the runner interfering with the SS covering 2nd base?

I don't think I have ever seen that called.

May 29, 2015
@The Man In Blue maybe the umpire is a slow old timer who wasn't quick to the draw, he may have called interference when the SS was making a play to 2nd, still dead ball interference. What is he suppose to do, yell at the top of his lungs over and over again "DEAD BALL DEAD BALL DEAD BALL" and flail his arms like a looney bird?

Do I need to say it?

Yes. That’s exactly what I do. If it is a dead ball you shut it down. At minimum, you make darn sure everybody knows you are trying to shut it down.

Just because the lunatic nature of USA Softball leadership amuses me ...

Same play. You see the interference and don’t say a word to kill the play. F5, trying for the double play, lets loose a rocket that flies over the fence and pops grandma right in the face, concussing her, breaking her nose, and sending her to the hospital. Now you are getting sued for not preventing the play when it should not have happened.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Not an assumption.
OP stated the players got a double play in this.

No, they could not have turned a DP, the ball was dead and the play was over. The runners and batter may or may not have heard the umpire kill the play and may or may not have stopped/slowed down. The only way the umpire can rule a second out is if the interference was an obvious attempt to prevent a DP, NOT award the second out because the defense went through the motions of throwing the (dead) ball around the diamond.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
@The Man In Blue maybe the umpire is a slow old timer who wasn't quick to the draw, he may have called interference when the SS was making a play to 2nd, still dead ball interference. What is he suppose to do, yell at the top of his lungs over and over again "DEAD BALL DEAD BALL DEAD BALL" and flail his arms like a looney bird?

Yes. It drives me absolutely insane on some kind of close play where the umpire makes the call that = dead ball once, usually, too quietly, and then just watches as players play on for 20 seconds. Your job is to kill the play. Get loud. Get animated. Move from your spot. Kill the play. Because someone's gonna get hurt when the two girls who heard you stop playing and everybody else is still going and you're just standing there wondering why nobody heard you whisper "foul ball" that one time.

Jan 11, 2015
Maybe one day they will change the rules and make it like football where we throw a flag for rule infractions and then after the play is over we go to the coach and ask them if they will decline the penalty and accept the results of the play or take penalty enforcement. I got my flag ready when they do

radness

Dec 13, 2019
No, they could not have turned a DP, the ball was dead and the play was over. The runners and batter may or may not have heard the umpire kill the play and may or may not have stopped/slowed down. The only way the umpire can rule a second out is if the interference was an obvious attempt to prevent a DP, NOT award the second out because the defense went through the motions of throwing the (dead) ball around the diamond.
Did you miss the point that the play was not called dead.
Dead ball was not called at all.

Initially they called 2nd and 3rd safe, and batter out at 1st. Then they got together and called interference. Took the runner off 3rd, and put the batter back in 1st.

These umpires were the worst we’ve seen all year long. This wasn’t the only bad call they had made.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283